Japanese Knives Introducing Japanese Knife Society

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New video from JKI- Saba no Sanmai Oroshi

This was just uploaded, but we will be working on the English later today

Please let us know if you have any questions.

[video=youtube;NrBjgFfeo4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NrBjgFfeo4A[/video]

New video from JKI- Saba no Sanmai Oroshi

This was just uploaded, but we will be working on the English later today

Please let us know if you have any questions.

[video=youtube;NrBjgFfeo4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NrBjgFfeo4A[/video]

Great video, very nice use of the toothbrush.

English notes are up... there may be some changes while we discuss this with Ueda-san

there was a problem with how some of the text showed up, so i just fixed that too...

anyone try this out for themselves yet?

100_3134.jpg

Just with yanagi, as I dont see the point of owning any vegetable single bevel.

I tried with carrot for A it being more difficult than cucumber and B for lack of cucumbers.
Definitely to do it like Mr Ueda takes loads of practice, but I love how slow and particular he is. Just very nice to watch

he goes slow for the videos... i promise he works much faster in real life ;)

looks like your tried yoko-ken... is that right?

:jawdrop:
What a beast! That guy is amazing.

For those who haven't tried, I promise that slashing thing on the spine where he pops through all the rib bones, takes the fish off the bones, and doesn't scratch the meat is not remotely as easy as he makes it look.

actually, its not that bad... its just an angle and wrist issue

here's one i did way out of practice:

[video=youtube;ZsuAmTq9WAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuAmTq9WAw[/video]

I dunno man, maybe because I never did it with a Deba. But that was something I never got great at. Sadly, 95% of sushi in Texas is rolling rolling rolling...cutting fish takes up like 5-8 hours out of the week for everyone put together at the bar I worked at(excluding tuna, of course, which comes in loins anyways).

Nope. Something called tateken. The carrot would stay dead straight, without will to roll :)

Liked the feeling fo cutting it with yanagiba, plenty of sharpness available and thickness of slice just up to your will

I meant it takes considerable time practicing and learning, not mentioning the chance of mistake under pressure, youve seen any chef with only half a thumb?
No wonder they start with washing rice for 5 years :D

Would he use bigger sized deba for bigger fish, like 20KG? or more?

Nope. Something called tateken. The carrot would stay dead straight, without will to roll :)

Liked the feeling fo cutting it with yanagiba, plenty of sharpness available and thickness of slice just up to your will

I meant it takes considerable time practicing and learning, not mentioning the chance of mistake under pressure, youve seen any chef with only half a thumb?
No wonder they start with washing rice for 5 years :D

Would he use bigger sized deba for bigger fish, like 20KG? or more?

usually his 180mm and 210mm get the most workout... from time to time he has a 240mm mioroshi he uses too. Though the last time we used that one was when he was showing me how to split fugu skin into layers.

So which would be better, 21 mioroshi or 21 deba? Strictly to break down fish?

deba

remember, mioroshi is a combo of yanagiba and deba. Works for both, but not as good as either.

Best.
Video.
Series.
EVER!

It makes me want to quit my job, sell everything I own (except knives) and go spend 5 years washing rice.

Yup... next video is Hirame no Gomai Oroshi (5 piece cutting of Fluke)... I'm going to try to get the english done for it today.

[video=youtube;Ox2wgKuV_X0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2wgKuV_X0[/video]

The video with blowfish is better... Can see just so much care about the fish there, if you could say that... :D

The video with blowfish is better... Can see just so much care about the fish there, if you could say that... :D

The Fugu vid is very dramatic and more exotic in the way that it's broken down. I was particularly awed at how flawless and quickly he removed the skin.

However, Fluke is one of my favorite things to eat and I really enjoyed seeing how gently he handled the very delicate fish. Even the way that he removed it from the net and then killed it seemed very careful and respectful, if not almost loving.
-and the finished filets are just flawless: not so much as a fingerprint indent!

i thought i would be able to get english done for this video today, but it may be tomorrow... sorry for the delay

The Fugu vid is very dramatic and more exotic in the way that it's broken down. I was particularly awed at how flawless and quickly he removed the skin.

However, Fluke is one of my favorite things to eat and I really enjoyed seeing how gently he handled the very delicate fish. Even the way that he removed it from the net and then killed it seemed very careful and respectful, if not almost loving.
-and the finished filets are just flawless: not so much as a fingerprint indent!

The important part is the ike jime. Really make a difference in the final product.

English notes are up... hope you guys find this helpful:
[video=youtube;Ox2wgKuV_X0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2wgKuV_X0[/video]

Thank you berry much. Would a technique for Karei (facing right ones) be the same, but mirrored?

New Video from JKS- Hirazukuri and Sushi Netagiri of Maguro with a Yanagiba

The english notes are up already, so we hope you enjoy it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

The JKS Team

[video=youtube;iCz2RkmtWYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iCz2RkmtWYM[/video]

Thank you berry much. Would a technique for Karei (facing right ones) be the same, but mirrored?

Karei is a different kind of fish (the skin is even different), but the technique is the same. Both Hirame and Karei can be either right or left facing. Its still always hara-sei-sei-hara... belly, spine, spine, belly.

Jon, these videos are awesome. I can't wait till I get set up to try all these things out.

Latest posts

Back