Investment or hype?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldCoastMitch

Reaction score
Saw this auction posting today for a custom Kramer. What’s the consensus about his knives? Are the carbon Zwilling chefs knives any good? MAC better?
09F8EBE3-1842-465F-B466-9EB1798EDDE8.jpeg

This is more about owning a piece from a master craftsman and it’s story. Nothing wrong with that. Just like art, the value varies with personal opinions.

x2. I doubt this is 'flippable' since the buyer will be paying market price (or higher if emotions take over in a bidding war.

He makes very nice knives that most people will never be able to use or get their hands on.
His mastering of pattern welded steel is something truly special to see up close.
As said above you are paying for the art/artist with his actual knives.
The licensed Zwilling products are not the same as his actual pieces but are still nice knives in their own right.

Not to my taste, but even I can see the skills required and appreciate that part.

He makes very nice knives that most people will never be able to use or get their hands on.
His mastering of pattern welded steel is something truly special to see up close.
As said above you are paying for the art/artist with his actual knives.
The licensed Zwilling products are not the same as his actual pieces but are still nice knives in their own right.
I own one original Kramer 9” chef’s knife and 3 Zwilling Kramer 10” chefs knives. Shun had Kramer knives but they were poor replicas but Zwilling does it right. I find it difficult to tell the difference between the ZK and the real deal.

Which of his Zwilling chefs knives would you recommend. Zwilling offers Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel and Damascus. I’m a big guy and quite used to hefty German knives. I have a few Western 8”. Should I go bigger on the ZK?

I have a 8" carbon ZK and wish it was a 10" -- or that I had both. I primarily use 210 gyutos, so I'm not averse to "shorter" blades (at least by this board's standards) but 8" is more like 200mm, and the knife feels like it could use some extra length, especially when dealing with somewhat larger ingredients like cabbages. If you already have a few 8" westerns, I'd go big on the ZK.

I had at one point the ZKramer Carbon 8" and 10" at the same time. In my opinion, the 8" felt wrong in my hands - balance was perfect but it felt too heavy for the size of the blade. I'd sold the 10" and ended up regretting it, so just rebought it.

The best ZK in my opinion is Carbon. Same steel as used by the original, and is perhaps the nicest production knife you can buy today at almost any price. After that I would go for Damascus, and then for Stainless.

Back