Iron Chef American Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not watched an ICJ episode since before I learned about j-knives. Now I recongnize debas, yanigibas and usubas! :lol2:

I did not get to see many Michiba episodes, but he never failed to come through with the Broth of Vigor :eek:vg:

I did not take your post as rude! I was just frustrated with myself for having another ridiculous brain fart! Too many meds.
We are pretty much on the same page.

im glad we are on the same page and hope others here are too!!! i sometimes have a few beers and realize some of my posts may come off as rude. there are so many good iron chef episodes and i wish that ICA wasn't around because it makes us look like chumps :D

I am so glad I'm not alone here. I loved the original better. I have always wondered what knives they use.

I know, I know, this is an old post, but I just saw the re-run of No Reservations where Tony is in Tokyo with Iron Chef Morimoto and remembered this post from way back when. Inotada Knife Productions in Sekai is the place where Morimoto buys his knives and he has them made by Master Yoshi Kazuakada. The knife bit was pretty short, but interesting.

Here is the link for Morimoto's knife supplier.

http://japantool-iida.com/knife_kitchen/2009/04/inotada-knife-sakai-city.html

k.

Oh weird... I'm like 99% sure I was there last April. I recognize the mini owls everywhere. LOL
From what I understand though, they are blade makers not vendors.
My post about the Sakai City blade makers at Korin

How big is that Deba he's using? Things the size of a broad sword.

[video=youtube;dN2JQG7c3wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN2JQG7c3wI&feature=related[/video]

I recently discovered that special yanagis are produced expressly for the purpose of taking apart large Tuna. 480mm in length is what I saw. You can get one from Hide (as in the Sakai Hamono, Yamamoto Hideaki, a la Gesshin Hide) for about 100,000 Japanese Yen.

In the first shot at 3:13 as he unsheaths the yanagi, it looks pretty long (480mm would be a good approximation), but it takes on an even longer appearance as a super wide-angle fish-eye shot gives the mirage of extra length.

I watched Iron Chef Japan and chefs on the one that I watched are national TV faces.... I don't know how great they are in reality, but I am impressed with the knives they use. It's also nice to know that all those chefs on Japanese Iron Chef know that people are "watching" - it must be a lot of pressure to be watched by chefs and non-chefs alike who would notice if they can't use their knives properly or mess up their wa-bocho and yo-bocho. (and of course the pressure of cooking on national tv channel)

Back