Iron chef Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
Angler fish. Yuck! What a gross exhibit! Looks like a monk fish, all slimy and creepy, the challenger started cutting it up with a honesuki looking knife, Michiba with a big deba.

That was the first episode I ever saw and I was hooked after that. Last Sunday was a rerun of Yogurt Battle where the Challenger forced Chen Kenichi to cook Chinese food with yogurt LOL it was fascinating... and Chen won!! Bam!

Now that's just cruel.

Cruel... and funny!

Think hot and sour shark's fin soup dressed with yogurt, or crab croquettes with creamy yogurty filling lol.

Angler fish. Yuck! What a gross exhibit! Looks like a monk fish, all slimy and creepy, the challenger started cutting it up with a honesuki looking knife, Michiba with a big deba.

Angler fish IS monk fish, just a different name for it. comes from the little lure on top of its head

I think that it's THE programme that made me wanna be a chef lol.

Oh barf. Monkfish is angler fish? Argh, why do they keep dressing up names of fishes? Geez. It should be called "friggin-scary-g'ddamn-thing-with-teeth-going-in-all-directions-and-a-twitchy-fleshy-ambulatory-growth-on-its-head-fish"

I'm gonna go eat some beef now.

@ Tristan :lol2:
If you missed any episodes might find them (here) :thumbsup2:

Monkfish fish head curry... now THAT'S what I'd like to see!!!

Giant Eel is on Cooking Channel right now. Morimoto vs. Handa.

Morimoto just hammered his eel spike into his cutting board with the spine of his Nenox suji.

Oh, I'm sure Nenohi will send him a new one right away!

Giant Eel is on Cooking Channel right now. Morimoto vs. Handa.

Morimoto just hammered his eel spike into his cutting board with the spine of his Nenox suji.

I just watched that last night! I forgot how great the old ones are.
I was watching IC America recently and noticed that Michael Symon actually uses good knives and seems to know how to swing them! His sashimi game is a bit weak, but I don't think it's the easiest thing to cut with a 240 Nenox ironwood gyuto. ;)

Angler fish IS monk fish, just a different name for it. comes from the little lure on top of its head

actually you have it reversed. Monkfish is a type of angler fish. there are many different kinds of angler fish that are classified from the lure on the top of the head and monkfish is a particular species.

most of the time when they are fished, they just hack the head off and throw it back in the water saving the tail as that is about all that people want to eat in america. i managed to get one whole a few weeks back and let me tell you, they are dangerous looking and ugly as sin. they have like 3 rows of teeth and pointy things everywhere. i took a few pics, sorry about the quality.

IMG_20110525_111606.jpg

IMG_20110525_111715.jpg

IMG_20110525_111724.jpg

Like I said, Fish Head Curry!

I now officially hate monkfish!

I now officially hate monkfish!

Oh c`mon Lefty , turn your head sideways while looking at the pics. How can you hate a cute little thing like that? :eek:vg:

It makes sense that the monk is a version of the angler, as the angler in the referenced episode did not quite look like the monks that I have seen. Very similar, butt different. In the program they said that 2/3 of the cost of the fish was for the liver.

Ok, I actually do like it. I hate to say it, but...ahem...Gordon Ramsay does one hell of a spiced monkfish. I'll go on record as saying I thnk the guy is legit. There...I said it!

He does have, what, 10-12 Michelin stars?

I heard they're going to change the name to "Gordon's". ;)

Ok, I actually do like it. I hate to say it, but...ahem...Gordon Ramsay does one hell of a spiced monkfish. I'll go on record as saying I thnk the guy is legit. There...I said it!

:razz::lol2:

Yeah he's legit. You don't earn all those stars for nothing.

Now that makes me wonder, do any guys we know here have a Michelin Star? That would be cool.
Not that you aren't good if you don't have one, but it would still be cool.

Doesn't Colin (Chef Niloc) have a Michelin star?

They call it monkfish because it looks like it's wearing a cowl (so they say); from the marketing perspective, most people know that anglerfish look gross so monkfish was adopted as a euphemism/marketing ploy. Conjures up nicer images than an angler in the mind's eyes of people who read it on a menu.

...at Michelin starred restaurants.

I thought monkfish was on the endangered/sustainable list and it should be avoided.

With that said, we haven't had it in a long while but the local market sells it once in a while.

Back