Iron/rust smell

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abepaniagua

Reaction score
So I shared a few weeks ago the munetoshi I have with a bit of a rust. Ive removed it and now I am re-sharpening the knife. While I am at it the knife smells a lot like iron or some rustiness... Does that smell goes away? Or is there a reason why it smells so much?

After I am done sharpening it with my three stones I will be putting mineral oil on it, pER your recommendations.

The smell will dissipate with time and patina.

Thanks! Here's after cleaning it:
5GPW3DC.jpg

AdUzqTm.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like there could be light rusting on the KU finish. My Munetoshi had some rusting on the spine with the exposed core steel showing, and on the bottom of the knife where it came out from the handle. I cleaned it up with some rust eraser/baking soda and elbow grease. If you have a keen sense of smell you can kinda locate where it is coming from, otherwise ask someone who does

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like there could be light rusting on the KU finish. My Munetoshi had some rusting on the spine with the exposed core steel showing, and on the bottom of the knife where it came out from the handle. I cleaned it up with some rust eraser/baking soda and elbow grease. If you have a keen sense of smell you can kinda locate where it is coming from, otherwise ask someone who does

As you point out, there's still some light rust on the finish. I will be using baking soda and now that you mention it, because the product that was using did not remove most of the rust.

I had to stop the cleaning and sharpening session because I was about to go out so I cleaned it and added mineral oil until I can touch it again.

Sounds good. It is a fantastic knife, but can be rough especially if you live in a humid area. Adding a patina is probably your best bet if you do, or as you already did, adding some oil

Sounds good. It is a fantastic knife, but can be rough especially if you live in a humid area. Adding a patina is probably your best bet if you do, or as you already did, adding some oil

Cleaned both knives a bit more. The shinko nakiri wasn't that bad but for some weird reason it had some chips...fixed it with a 300, 1K, 6K then a Jnat. I swiped both knives with mineral oil. Let's see how it goes.

Back