Is a 60/40 bevel okay for a lefty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
A lot of knives (in this case Carbonext) have blades with a 60/40 bevel. Would any of you lefties pay extra for the left handled version?

If it's not acceptable, how hard would it be to re-sharpen it to 50/50?

I'm not a pro but changing the bevel from 60/40 to 50/50 should not take more than a few minutes.

A lot of knives (in this case Carbonext) have blades with a 60/40 bevel. Would any of you lefties pay extra for the left handled version?

If it's not acceptable, how hard would it be to re-sharpen it to 50/50?

You likely won't be able to tell the difference when using a 60/40 versus a 50/50.

I sharpen mine around 60\40ish and my wife ,who is a lefty, has no issues.

+1 to what everyone else said. Tiny bevels at the edge aren't a big deal and are easily altered. It's the overall blade geometry that can be an issue.

Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for.

This is a little late, but you should be good to go at 60/40, but if you notice it, a quick extra minute or two on the left hand side will fix it right up.

If a right handed 60/40 knife is thin bladed (laser) then it's almost always OK for a lefty to use.

Like Lefty pointed out some extra time working the left side is what will help if there is a problem.

Back