Is Bulat steel easy to sharpen on natural stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Before posting this I searched a little on the forum and couldnt find anything precisely. My question to the sharpening gurus is...

Is Bulat steel easy to sharpen on natural stones? I am considering a Kemadi but I am totally unfamiliar with Bulat steel.

Thanks in advance!

M1k3

Nobody wants to work....FOR YOU!!
Reaction score
Possible. Not enjoyable. Lots of larger sized carbides in the steel.

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what common Bulat steel compositions look like. Assuming it's pretty low alloy like wootz tends to be, it should be pretty easy (wootz is) because while it has some fairly large Iron carbides they are all quite soft and easy to cut.

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what common Bulat steel compositions look like. Assuming it's pretty low alloy like wootz tends to be, it should be pretty easy (wootz is) because while it has some fairly large Iron carbides they are all quite soft and easy to cut.
That's why I suggested to ask the person who might actually know. Given that there is no spec for bulat, it's not like it is 52100 with known composition, anything else would be just a guess. Not to mention that "natural stones" is a pretty generic term as well.

Reaction score
I haven’t had a problem sharpening my one knife on my particular set of stones. I don’t use coarser than an Aoto though, I get to the prefinisher point with synthetics. No idea what the alloying elements are but it seems to take patina between 52100 and SKD. And as has been said above someone knows more solid information than I.

Elliot

Reaction score
So, couple things:

- My experience has been:

• You won’t need to sharpen often.
• It’s not difficult at all in my experience. I’ve only sharpened mine once in more than a year and I did it frankly because I wanted to… it didn’t need it. That being said, I used an Aizu and had no issues.

Barry's Knives

Reaction score
It’s not as nice as a blue or white to sharpen, the feedback isn’t exactly silky, but it’s not bad either. Even when you have very high hrc Japanese steels the feedback isn’t amazing either. But in terms of how easy it is, it’s far easier than stainless and you can think of it in terms of high hrc carbon. I haven’t had problems with carbides .

mpier

Reaction score
I have a few Kemadi Bulat knives but no natural stones. On synthetic stones though they sharpen nicely and easily. I’m a home cook so as others have mentioned I only need to sharpen them once or twice a year. Also I find the steel durable not chippy what do ever.

mpier

Reaction score
Also just to add I find the steel benefits from mostly low grit stones no need to go over 1k