Is it suitable - Kanetsugu Pro M

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyne

Reaction score
Hey guys, after buying my first Japanese knife (210mm JCK Deep Impact Aogami Super gyuto) I'm now looking for a second knife - more one that can be used by anyone that walks into my kitchen without the need to worry much/at all about how they handle it.
This would be to replace a collection of Mundial knives, that are CroMo steel but have been sharpened over about 12 years and could do with replacing (except the large chefs knife which I'll keep for any tasks I'm too worried about damaging the JCK).

Looking to keep the purchase under $100AUD incl shipping.
Would the Kanetsugu Pro M 150mm petty be a good knife in this scenario? It's AUS8 steel, nice 'do just about anything' size and not too hard at 57 HRc, so chipping shouldn't be an issue.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...petty-120mm-150mm-2-sizes?variant=29198586691

The other I was thinking is one I personally love the look of, but is a bit over budget, the JCK Blue Clouds Kiritsuke Petty 150mm. AUS-10 steel, beautiful look (in my opinion), but a bit harder at a claimed 60-61 HRc. Still, AUS-10 should be less prone to chipping than, say, VG10?? (eg. Tojiro DP 150mm petty would also be within budget locally)
https://japanesechefsknife.com/prod...ds-series-bc-1-kiritsuke-petty-140mm-5-5-inch

Open to other suggestions too, of course.

Wow, over a year since I posted this and no response.
Anyone input, for a <$150AUD general duties knife that has no special maintenance other than sharpening 2-3 times a year.

Protein (deboned), vegetables and fruit so nothing too strenuous.
150mm - 190mm.

Just found I could also get a Minamoto Hamon 150mm petty from Japanese Knife Store (reliable?) for about bang on $100AUD shipped.
19c27 steel - Minamoto Swedish-Steel - Japanese Petty knife 150mm

Any advice, recommendations?

this is a nice petty to look at, thin, fine and forgiving stainless, finish is nice as well.

i usually buying minanoto/tojiro as presents for family or friends.

Hey guys, after buying my first Japanese knife (210mm JCK Deep Impact Aogami Super gyuto) I'm now looking for a second knife - more one that can be used by anyone that walks into my kitchen without the need to worry much/at all about how they handle it.
This would be to replace a collection of Mundial knives, that are CroMo steel but have been sharpened over about 12 years and could do with replacing (except the large chefs knife which I'll keep for any tasks I'm too worried about damaging the JCK).

Looking to keep the purchase under $100AUD incl shipping.
Would the Kanetsugu Pro M 150mm petty be a good knife in this scenario? It's AUS8 steel, nice 'do just about anything' size and not too hard at 57 HRc, so chipping shouldn't be an issue.
Kanetsugu Pro M Series Petty (130mm and 150mm, 2 sizes)

The other I was thinking is one I personally love the look of, but is a bit over budget, the JCK Blue Clouds Kiritsuke Petty 150mm. AUS-10 steel, beautiful look (in my opinion), but a bit harder at a claimed 60-61 HRc. Still, AUS-10 should be less prone to chipping than, say, VG10?? (eg. Tojiro DP 150mm petty would also be within budget locally)
JCK Natures 青雲 Blue Clouds Series BC-1 AUS-10 Tsuchime Hammered Kiritsuke (Bunka) Petty 140mm (5.5 inch)

Open to other suggestions too, of course.

12 years does not seem very long for a set of knives for home. I have German knives more than 50 years old that I use at home. They were my mom's and I am old.

12 years does not seem very long for a set of knives for home.

It is when you are naive for most of those 12yrs and use bad sharpening methods/tools which remove way more steel than is actually necessary :)

Latest posts

Back