Is SHUN a Japanese knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TO Mod RQK
Let me add something...
Before they made Chinese copies, or some knives from no name producers in Japan in an a chip prices.
But now they create a new stile - same BS, but in expensive price)))...

Last edited:
Yes, guys - that's right about flags and hats, whatever...
But knives - a bit another things...
You are all remember the problem with VG10.
It was a long time ago, but heat treating problem with VG10 still even now.
Japanese company TAKEFU could sell any steel to any country.
But!
Then starting problem with heat treating!
And then we could see the difference between hands from Japanese family and and all another BS...)))

TO Mod RQK
Let me add something...
Before they made Chinese copies, or some knives from no name producers in Japan in an a chip prices.
But now they create a new stile - same BS, but in expensive price)))...

Yes, guys - that's right about flags and hats, whatever...
But knives - a bit another things...
You are all remember the problem with VG10.
It was a long time ago, but heat treating problem with VG10 still even now.
Japanese company TAKEFU could sell any steel to any country.
But!
Then starting problem with heat treating!
And then we could see the difference between hands from Japanese family and and all another BS...)))

Entirely legit point of view... then again, not changing anything to the argument made to you in this thread about that « Shun » knife on Ali... but seeing your answers I’m quoting, I can’t help but wonder: why consider a 30$ knife on Ali just because its tagged Shun, if you’re aware of the scam it might be? Why not instead hunt down what looks like the most solid offer for future tweaking at 30$, branding not considered as its probably meaningless, if not misleading...

Entirely legit point of view... then again, not changing anything to the argument made to you in this thread about that « Shun » knife on Ali... but seeing your answers I’m quoting, I can’t help but wonder: why consider a 30$ knife on Ali just because its tagged Shun, if you’re aware of the scam it might be? Why not instead hunt down what looks like the most solid offer for future tweaking at 30$, branding not considered as its probably meaningless, if not misleading...
Dear ModRQC, honestly Your English is very nice, but to complicated to me)))...
Sorry))).
Well...
I've never trusted to big companies, like Solingen&Co and KAI with SHUN together.
I'm not a communist and I don't care about global companies, but I don't like their product.
I'd prefer any knives from individual, or family business of knife making.
Especially since I have been making knives myself for a long time and I know all the existing technologies.
But marketing (I agree) - that's another stile, another technologies)))...
About AliExpress all my experience is negative - all tools and knives were bad quality.

Ok then that sounds like its settled.

My english can be good at times but still a second language. Yours is fit for communication and I think you understand it well, but don’t like to argue all that much using it. ;)

You sound like a good man and I didn’t want to argue with you, just make sure the most important point was understood. Then again you know your way around knives more than I do so who am I to tell you what to buy?

If you mean like the stickers they often put on crafted japanese knives handles, then I'd say yes, and add that for Shun it is probably better not to put any stickers anywhere as this does detract from the usual western sterile presentation of things. Shun is marketing mostly for the western market obviously, like Zwilling's Miyabi and the likes. Better give folks japanese-like making before they truly get interested in the real J market and realize it offers a much wider variety of steels and styles at the same price. Compared to Zwilling or even Boker, Wusthöf is a stupidly boring brand, always doing X50 steels, and then mostly doing full bolsters, and then charging more for half-bolsters knives of their overexpensive lines......... Surprised that not only are they not extinct right now, but that a lot of folks are advising them as the best to buy on a serious review basis.

Edit: Shun are quite boring in that way too... VG-10 and VG-Max, some AUS-8 I think in the less expensive lines, and then let's step up to really overexpensive series that aren't reinventing or trying anything, like Wusthöf...

Surprised that not only are they not extinct right now, but that a lot of folks are advising them as the best to buy on a serious review basis.
I'm curious… Suppose I want to buy a soft-steel knife (X50 or similar), because I want something that can take abuse. What would you recommend instead of Wüsthof?

Balance on Messr is a little blade forward. Semi bolster is standard and has been.

Wustie is neutral, semi bolster on Ikon series with a price premium.

Messr targets the pro market. Wustie the housewife market.

OK, I get the semi-bolster. But that's available from Wüsthof, too. Prices seem about the same.

I've never used a Messermeister, so I have no idea how they differ from a Wüsthof. Is the 1.4116 steel significantly different from the X50CrMoV15? Composition seems to be very similar.

Honestly, besides the balance and somewhat different looks, there's not much difference. It's like Honda vs Toyota.
From looking at the knives and going by the specs, that was my conclusion, too. I would expect the Messermeisters to perform much like the Wüsthofs. The profiles look quite similar as well.

I'll keep an eye out for a Messermeister to try, but don't expect any great revelations if I do get a chance to use one.

At the cheaper end of things, though I don't know what's easily available in AU, I'm partial to the K Sabatier. I have one of the vintage carbon's and I really love it. I'm quite partial to the profile, I'm guessing from what I can see the stainless is going to be about the same. YMMV

From looking at the knives and going by the specs, that was my conclusion, too. I would expect the Messermeisters to perform much like the Wüsthofs. The profiles look quite similar as well.

I'll keep an eye out for a Messermeister to try, but don't expect any great revelations if I do get a chance to use one.

It's pretty much a better balanced Wusthof, generally.

Back