Is stropping necessary after a finisher?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great you got rid of the wire edge, but you better avoid creating one.
Make sure to reach the very edge, verify again and again with marker trick and loupe. Raise a good burr on the coarsest stone. Avoid blindly counting strokes. It is my impression jig systems are more than not likely to create wire edges.
I insist on avoiding them because removing is hard and uncertain and often leaves a damaged edge behind.

How do you avoid creating one?

As I said: make sure to reach the very edge. Beware of old micro-bevels. Raise once a good burr. And deburr between the stones.

As I said: make sure to reach the very edge. Beware of old micro-bevels. Raise once a good burr. And deburr between the stones.

When you move to a higher stone after your coarsest stone, are you only aiming to deburr or are you aiming to remove (non burr) metal from the edge? In your sharpening technique, do you usually see a burr with the finer stone(s)? Do you use marker and loupe every time you sharpen or is this what you suggest for beginners and while learning to overcome specific sharpening problems (like inability to cut tomatoes)?

When you move to a higher stone after your coarsest stone, are you only aiming to deburr or are you aiming to remove (non burr) metal from the edge? In your sharpening technique, do you usually see a burr with the finer stone(s)? Do you use marker and loupe every time you sharpen or is this what you suggest for beginners and while learning to overcome specific sharpening problems (like inability to cut tomatoes)?

Whith a higher stone one hasn't to raise a burr: it is there, after one or two strokes. I'm not so much interested in getting rid of scratches, so, yes, the only aim of the progression is to reduce and eventually get rid of the burr.
If someone has to deal with a wire edge I guess the edge hasn't been fully reached. That's why I suggested marker trick and loupe.
A safe way to avoid all these inconvenience is sharpening at a lower angle, beginning behind the edge, and increasing the angle a bit more when the very edge has been reached.

Whith a higher stone one hasn't to raise a burr: it is there, after one or two strokes. I'm not so much interested in getting rid of scratches, so, yes, the only aim of the progression is to reduce and eventually get rid of the burr.
If someone has to deal with a wire edge I guess the edge hasn't been fully reached. That's why I suggested marker trick and loupe.
A safe way to avoid all these inconvenience is sharpening at a lower angle, beginning behind the edge, and increasing the angle a bit more when the very edge has been reached.

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks.

Back