Is there a western mono carbon/iron clad with distal taper and tapered tang?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does such a production knife exist? Western mono or ironclad carbon gyuto, distal taper, and tapered tang?

For example, on the stainless side, western blazen sg2 and akifusa srs15 both have super nice balance and in hand feel for a western because of the distal taper and tapered tang. Looking for something similar but full carbon.

Closest I can find in terms of feel is the kogetsu sk5 and morihei hisamoto hagane. Both have blade forward balance in a 240, especially compared to other carbon monos like misono swedish and sugimoto carbon.

Especially the kogetsu. Don't get me wrong - misono, sugimoto, both feel like nice knives. But the kogetsu feels like a gyuto.

But... no tapered tang. So close but no cigar.

Help.

Funnily the cheap rose wood Masahiro might have it, at least my honesuki has very slight tang taper, also Masahisa thick gyuto has both taper. If you are going for stainless Kazutada has nice taper, not sure about JCK Kagayaki
IMG_5674.jpeg
IMG_5673.jpeg

Does such a production knife exist? Western mono or ironclad carbon gyuto, distal taper, and tapered tang?

For example, on the stainless side, western blazen sg2 and akifusa srs15 both have super nice balance and in hand feel for a western because of the distal taper and tapered tang. Looking for something similar but full carbon.

Closest I can find in terms of feel is the kogetsu sk5 and morihei hisamoto hagane. Both have blade forward balance in a 240, especially compared to other carbon monos like misono swedish and sugimoto carbon.

Especially the kogetsu. Don't get me wrong - misono, sugimoto, both feel like nice knives. But the kogetsu feels like a gyuto.

But... no tapered tang. So close but no cigar.

Help.
Steelport

Edit nvm, I think I misremembered

Back