Is this the best Santoku knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to be bellicose or anything...I gave consideration a while ago to questioning some of the common wisdom of the boards, but my cynicism and pessimism convinced me it'd be futile to push against the tide. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Yes the Funayuki & Kiritsuke morfed into DB blades. My Yoshimitsu Santoku 176mm has a more gradual drop in the spine, think it looked similar to one of Stepan's older Carters. The Yoshimitsu is 3mm at the spine which only gets thinner at the tip. It has a high grind and a extremely thin edge. It was forged by guys in their 80's & 90's. It cuts so fine.

High ground bevels & spines that drop more at the tip are not a new thing. I have restored old Japanese blades found at swapmeet both SB & DB . Interesting blades deff. over 50 years old. One of my favorite work knives found at swapmeet old blade carbon steel high grind and more drop at the tip than western style 248mm really wore down that blade with use. It started my conviction that the Japanese really now how to make knives that cut well.

I hadn't realized until it was pointed out to me that this was a very old thread. I googled the site and didn't check the dates, when I was researching a potential purchase. I didn't mean to pick a fight. I think Rick is very skilled with a knife - I showed my wife one of his snapper videos this past weekend. Nothing personal, sorry if it came off that way.

J

I hadn't realized until it was pointed out to me that this was a very old thread. I googled the site and didn't check the dates, when I was researching a potential purchase. I didn't mean to pick a fight. I think Rick is very skilled with a knife - I showed my wife one of his snapper videos this past weekend. Nothing personal, sorry if it came off that way.

J

You're good, I was just being a PIA. Agreed on the Takeda gyuto being the best "santoku."

Cheers

I can't find it anymore but there's some Japanese blogs I had translated years ago which talked about the origin. I didn't mean to sound so abrupt. I do that sometimes, no harm meant.

Latest posts

Back