Is www.japanese-cutlery.com legit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have experience with this thing.
What I notice is the poor english translation. I asked myself - How come they sell x000 and xx000 dollar knives and they dont pay attention to the translation?!?
It is obvious that mostly somebody frm the "western world" would pay a bag of bucks for the offered knves...Then why this translation?
Confusing, huh?

Its legit. I know someone who bought from them and received it with no issues(one of thous tou knives) but i believe they are not shipping internationally right now because of the covid thing. best to ask them just to be sure. Another thing, that shig says backordered at the bottom so pretty sure theres a waiting time when you process the order.

Very legit. Takako, a wonderful lady I have spoken to on multiple occasions, is super helpful. Just email them.

It's Munemasa, an old retail knife shop in Japan. That particular listing is "available on backorder" though, not in stock.

Exactly... You can see the similarities:

和式鍛造ナイフ専門店 宗正刃物ナイフ包丁特選

If I am not mistaken, Japanese Cutlery is a relatively new website. Probably one year? Munemasa has accommodated foreign sales for a while. They probably got enough volume to decide making a dedicated website for foreigners was worthwhile...

I have been tempted by Munemasa several times. While I have never purchased from either site, I wouldn't be too anxious about doing so. As pointed out, Munemasa is an old (and I believe reputable) knife shop in Japan.

(TL;DR, they are legit!)

Last edited:
i believe they are not shipping internationally right now because of the covid thing

'They' is much of Japan. The Japanese postal service, EMS, has not been shipping overseas since about April(?). Their latest notification says they are starting to send mail to some countries:

お知らせ - 日本郵便

If you are desperate you could contact a vendor and ask if they could send a package via a private international courtier.

Ordered a Masahiro from Japan through Amazon.ca. It shipped about two weeks ago after about three weeks in limbo.

Can't track it yet so I guess we'll see..........

It’s munemasa . 100% legit.. visited the last year to pick up my Shigefusa. Literally 2mins walk from morehei. Hard to find..small. upstairs 3rd floor of an apartment building. Make sure to read the find prints. Most Shigs are on backorder. They list on site as they are “expecting” stock soon since order was place x time period ago.

Legend has it that munemasa and Kiya helped Shigefusa when he first started so they get first dibs on what he makes .

I only know of 3 brands shigefusa OEMs for and this is one of them . They go way back.

Back