It's been a minute, but I still get down!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've made a few hundred now.

Latest project; 270 suji wearing toasted maple, linen micarta and ctek spacers. IMG_20170906_094410_266.jpg

Another from my favorite maker.
210 Tanaka ginsan gyuto.
Saya with flamed rock maple, black walnut spacer, black dyed maple and carbon fiber pin.

IMG_20171001_190159_565.jpg

Thanks guys!
This is a solution I came up with for a small parer that had a full bolster. I ran the zebrawood to match the grain direction of the olivewood handle.IMG_20171009_170447_117.jpg

A 12+" vintage carbon chef. Reprofiled, thinned, etched and wa converted. Left some of the deeper scratches for character.

Rosewood with glow spacer. Had this handle sitting around...

IMG_20171010_194807_230.jpg

This little stainless clad kurouchi white #2 is a beast! Thoroughly impressed.

Cocobolo, g10, dyed maple, linen micarta

IMG_20171113_101536_221.jpgIMG_20171113_100518_228.jpg

First is a Moritaka petty sporting a curly maple, g10 and burlap handle. The saya is made of curly maple with a handmade dyed curly maple and carbon fiber pin.

Second is a Kato Suminigashi sporting an aromatic red cedar saya with handmade flame acrylic and carbon fiber pin.
IMG_20171126_153947_259.jpg
IMG_20171126_154450_287.jpg

Always good stuff in this thread. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!
This is a solution I came up with for a small parer that had a full bolster. I ran the zebrawood to match the grain direction of the olivewood handle.View attachment 37118

I am really impressed by all your work and also by your way of using cord to keep the knife in place.
Is there any technique to make this? Or just utilising a double hole in the saya to pass through the cord? If this is a trade secret, i ofc respect that!

Edit: i think i figured it out. Thank you for the inspiration!

This thing was the epitome of PITA! It came with a cracked walnut handle. No worries, it was getting replaced anyways. Well the tang is extremely thick, and to top it off, it was bent and warped like a cork screw. No wonder the original handle cracked, right?

IMG_20180105_163225_365.jpgIMG_20180105_105619_124.jpg

So, its sporting roasted curly maple, blue g10, blue maple burl and buffalo horn. The saya is Carolina gum with matching maple burl pin.

The Kohetsu is a great value for a stainless clad carbon, but I probably wont be rehandling one again anytime soon.

Really good looking handle and saya, the material choices contrast each other nicely. :doublethumbsup:

Did you end up grinding down the irregular tang?

I did not. I also didn't want to try and bend it either. I made the tang slot straight, and before glue up, I had it all clamped together, and switched from burning to filing until it slid in smooth. I actually had a failure with the original handle body, which was olive wood. I had to start over with the maple.

In hind sight, the olive is temperamental and prone to micro cracks; probably not the best choice for the overworking required for this handle. Well, I have another 18" of it...will be going on a shelf for another year or two.

This is what I do when I have no real projects going in the shop...

A $1 thrift store find. I ground a k-tip, and a wa conversion.

The handle is a recycled octagon ho with horn ferrule. The saya is crosscut (offcut) walnut, with a handmade pin I had laying around. Kept me busy for a few hours.
IMG_20180218_163323.jpg

We have a Masakage Mizu petty sporting walnut, micarta and dyed curly maple

A Goko nashiji nakiri with a stock walnut handle

Both fitted with matching walnut sayas and handmade dyed curly maple pins.

I use carbon fiber for the pins because, unlike brass or copper, it's not slippery smooth, which helps it stay tight.

IMG_20180305_151349_609.jpg

I love walnut, great looking work! That blue curly maple really pops. :doublethumbsup:

Alright, without divulging too much, this is a recipe done just for me. It's nashiji, kurouchi, stainless clad blue steel. I ground the profile (wip...), the final grind and etch.

The handle is maple burl, my favorite roasted maple, jade g10.

Saya is hickory with matching maple burl pin.

IMG_20180316_175828_994.jpg

Back