it's raining handles (pic heavy)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
It's time for me to say thanks to KKF for everything that I learned about knives and handles making. So here are some handles that I'm planning to giveaway:

13966488604_b61ee71246_c.jpg

13966488664_d1037e8c07_c.jpg

Some of those were made for particular knives and thus has wholes already shaped for particular tangs. Other handles were made specially for this giveaway and has only a pilot holes for tangs. Let me just call all of these "practice handles". I'm experimenting with finish, shapes and so on. Please don't expect those to be on par with professional work by other KKF craftsmans.

Terms
So here's the deal: if you want a handle and know how to install it yourself (or know someone who can do it for you), then I'll ask you to fill out google docs questionnaire. There you'll need to put check marks for all the handles that you are interested in. Basic on this data, after 10 days or so, I'll randomly choose new owner for each handle.

Shipping
As most of you are from US here, Chris (knyfeknerd) kindly agreed to help me with shipping. So all the handles for US members would be sent to Chris in single package, and then he'll send them to owners. This should save shipping costs for US members.

I'll ask new owners to cover shipping costs. Shipping from Russia will cost somewhere between 10-20$… maybe less, maybe more, depending on destination.

Warranty
I'm afraid I'm not able to provide you with any warranty on those handles. Just take them as is. Some of them might break when mounting, other may serve you well for years.

Description of handles
All of them are different. Made using different techniques, from different materials, with different sanding and completely different finish. I'll try to give a short description of each one. For visual size comparison there's a 150 petty on each photo.

1 Cocobolo with Ebony ferrule and bright yellow spacer (some kind of plastic). Small handle made for 150mm Shigefusa. Very tapered. Satin finish.
13962940941_a6c19551ba_c.jpg

2 Maple and Ebony ferrule. Made from Burl Source stabilized wood few month ago. Small handle with minor taper and a pilot hole.
13943019036_4670a667d8_c.jpg

3 Rain Tree and Cocobolo spacer. Small handle without any taper. Pilot hole.
13962940801_74b21e4a30_c.jpg

4 Karelian Birch stabilized by me with Corian spacer. On photo you can see the wide side, while turned 90 degrees it would be almost twice thinner. Small handle with pilot hole.
13966558854_422e7ecf65_c.jpg

5 Cocobolo with Amboyna spacer. Medium sized handle with a strong taper. Pilot hole.
13962940291_e4cbd4c7d5_c.jpg

6 Alder burl with Gidgee ferrule. Medium sized handle with some taper and pilot hole.
13943018966_635e660730_c.jpg

7 Walnut Burl with Corian spacer. Medium sized handle with some taper and pilot hole.
13986094253_7f3515a477_c.jpg

8 Rain Tree with Ebony ferrule. Medium sized handle with some taper and pilot hole.
13962941451_410b84bbcb_c.jpg

9 Karelian Birch, Koa ferrule and Ebony spacer. Nicely figured Birch that I tried stabilizing myself. Wide side on photo. Turned 90 degrees would be half thinner. Very glossy finish. Pilot hole.
13966558234_bf08133d21_c.jpg

10 Palisander and Walnut ferrule. Made few month ago for Watanabe 150mm sabaki. Wide side on photo. Pretty big hole for Watanabe tang.
13966558094_d49f9e7e28_c.jpg

11 Bocote with Horn ferrule. Medium sized with some minor taper. Pilot hole.
13966558954_71582e9988_c.jpg

12 Alder Burl with Bocote ferrule and two tone Ebony spacer. Wide side on photo. Pilot hole.
13966551794_26605d8070_c.jpg

Next 3 handles are made bigger and would need at least 210mm long knife.

13 Cocobolo with Ebony ferrule and Corian spacer. Some minor taper and pilot hole.
13962940901_b48379849e_c.jpg

14 Cocobolo with Ebony ferrule. Some minor taper and pilot hole.
13962941091_d09507273b_c.jpg

15 Cocobolo with Ebony ferrule and white raffir spacer. Was made few month ago for my Shigefusa 210 guyto, but was too long for my taste. Wide side on photo. Huge hole for Shigefusa tang.
13966119825_fb23d03f20_c.jpg

In this short video overview I tried to briefly show you how handles looks from different angles (sorry for the quality and language):
[video=youtube;MbdUow1kT6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbdUow1kT6M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And finally, here's a link to google docs that you'd need to fill if you are interested in.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uZdYMp_LFx4Y1i-FqKPscMDN-nppzgZzs1nfHfvzv0k/viewform?usp=send_form and it's possible to change your answers later if you choose to do so.

I hope 10 days would be enough for everyone to make their choices. Please don't hesitate to post any ideas or comment. All feedback is welcomed.

Good luck everyone!

That's really generous of you

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Stunning handle work - I particularly like number 11 and number 14, they're super clean.

That's an incredibly generous offer.

Questionare sent, too little time to make handles for myself. :)

Great work Anton!
Very happy to be a part of this giveaway.

I have five knives now that need rehandle and would love to try one of yours. I have a fuguhiki that needs a very thing yanagiba style handle that is very modest. If I do not win one please let me know If you would like to do the rehandle on it for me!

Very nice gesture, and a lot of hours of work time involved in this generous giveaway, thanks to both of you! And the work looks nice and clean. Good luck to everyone,

Stefan

How much coffee comes with each handle???:happymug:

Anton, your work is excellent and what a generous offer to give some away! Anybody who gets one will be very pleased. All the best. :-D

Anton, your work is excellent and what a generous offer to give some away! Anybody who gets one will be very pleased. All the best. :-D
Blame my wife for this :) She forbids creating new handles until I got rid of all the old ones. She also forbids buying new wood as I still has enough for another 20 handles or so. Being unable to spend money on wood makes me really sad :D

Blame my wife for this :) She forbids creating new handles until I got rid of all the old ones. She also forbids buying new wood as I still has enough for another 20 handles or so. Being unable to spend money on wood makes me really sad :D

One more reason I wish I had a wife, I have wood for probably a thousand handles, total loss of control and nobody nagging me about it ;) It's nice on one side, but I am also broke...

Stefan

There are only 10 members signed in currently, but the surprising thing for me is that handle №14 is leading currently. Is it because of size? Or cocobolo texture? Or the classic design with black ferrule and black end cup?

I'm asking because I still have lots of cocobolo and can make few more handles like this in the future.

One more reason I wish I had a wife, I have wood for probably a thousand handles, total loss of control and nobody nagging me about it ;) It's nice on one side, but I am also broke...
So true… without strict control I see no ways of preserving money, while people like Mark Farley allowed to tease us with new beautiful pieces on almost daily basis.

Stefan you should really open a school or start some online courses for those who wants to learn handle making process. I don't know anybody who would have as many experience in custom handle making as you. I'd sign up for such courses any day now.

There are only 10 members signed in currently, but the surprising thing for me is that handle №14 is leading currently. Is it because of size? Or cocobolo texture? Or the classic design with black ferrule and black end cup?

I'm asking because I still have lots of cocobolo and can make few more handles like this in the future.

Simple and elegant. I prefer a handle that will enhance the beauty of a knife without taking over too much of the attention.

Wow some real beauties in here! How generous!

Awsome looking handles! So kind giveaway, amazing ppl in this forum. :doublethumbsup:

Stefan you should really open a school or start some online courses for those who wants to learn handle making process. I don't know anybody who would have as many experience in custom handle making as you. I'd sign up for such courses any day now.

Thanks, I might save a total beginner some trial and error time and some wasted materials, but I don't think I could teach you anything, your handles look fine to me.

Stefan

Thanks, I might save a total beginner some trial and error time and some wasted materials, but I don't think I could teach you anything, your handles look fine to me.

Don't be fooled by pictures. In person if you look close you'd see lots of different flaws. That may be good if you are a fan of rustic looks, but I believe those looking for perfectly shaped/polished handles may be disappointed by my work.

You've mentioned several times that you are working on some big order. So I guess you know more about being productive then most other handles makers here. I believe being productive is very important, because it not only saves some materials, but also saves time.

There are tons of things to learn about proper sanding. And about putting proper finish in general. There are some good posts on this forum, but one would need to really dig for them. Proper technique of glueing pieces together also worth separate mentioning (when you can get away with just epoxy and when you'd need a dowel or smth similar).

I mean when I started making handles half a year ago, I was under impression that it's an easy task. Now I know there are endless nuances for different wood types, different techniques and so on. I think you really underestimate the amount of experience you really has :)

Brilliant giveaway:doublethumbsup: so many great people on this forum:thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks! This is awesome of you. I'm inspired to do the same when I get started on making handles and sayas. Hope my form went through!

Latest posts

Back