I've worn out my Idahone ceramic honing rod after two years use. Can it be resurfaced?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how you know what compound? I had an old manual strop that came with green compound but my new stropping leather belt for my Ken Onion came with white compound.

I have a large block of green compound. Basically, it's a buffing compound that can be used on strops, or buffing wheels, etc. Grade was extra-fine as I recall. Actually, I have a few of those green buffing compound bars, as well as several brands of diamond pastes such as Tormek, etc.) You can use a lot of materials for simple stropping, but the buffing compounds and fine abrasive pastes give you that extra dimension of polishing.

Last edited:
The honing compounds do have a wax in them. I would think you could use brake cleaner and clean your honing rod if it is wax.

It could be that using a white compound with power works better than green. From what I remember is the people that use different colors use different wheels. You have a wheel for each color.

AHA!!!!!!! I may have isolated the issue. While watching a Jef Jewell video on sharpening with Nanohone stones, he expressed his disappointment with one stone in particular. He later realized that he had cleaned that stone with a rust eraser, which is precisely what I had done with my ceramic rod. The rust eraser had left a deposit on the stone, which greatly reduced the cutting capability and feel of the stone. The deposit was subsequently removed when Jef lapped the stone with the Nanohone Diamond lapping plate.

Now, I won't get those results unfortunately, since the rod is cylindrical and can't be lapped in the traditional manner, but there's hope. The rod has started working again, so that lends credence to Jef's observation. The rod is still not back to "normal", but it's much better than a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
AHA!!!!!!! I may have isolated the issue. While watching a Jef Jewell video on sharpening with Nanohone stones, he expressed his disappointment with one stone in particular. He later realized that he had cleaned that stone with a rust eraser, which is precisely what I had done with my ceramic rod. The rust eraser had left a deposit on the stone, which greatly reduced the cutting capability and feel of the stone. The deposit was subsequently removed when Jef lapped the stone with the Nanohone Diamond lapping plate.

Now, I won't get those results unfortunately, since the rod is cylindrical and can't be lapped in the traditional manner, but there's hope. The rod has started working again, so that lends credence to Jef's observation. The rod is still not back to "normal", but it's much better than a few weeks ago.

If that's all you think it is then I would just go with a fresh green scotch Brite scour pad and some dish soap. Should be more than enough abrasive and detergent to remove the residue without doing any damage.

Yeah you could try a sandpaper to return texture to the hone too

Silicon carbide is harder, than some ceramics so it might work
Yes, I tried SiC wet/dry paper last week, but no luck. As I said earlier, the rod cuts now, so whatever was causing the rod to stop cutting, seemingly evaporates or degrades over time. I'm not sure exactly about the make-up of the Superaser, but I'm going to try a degreaser next. That said, the rod is cutting marginally better with each passing day.

If that's all you think it is then I would just go with a fresh green scotch Brite scour pad and some dish soap. Should be more than enough abrasive and detergent to remove the residue without doing any damage.

Yes, I tried that early on, but no luck. I used Dawn and very hot water on an abrasive pad,,,, no go,,,, tried Barkeepers' Friend,,,, nope,,,, tried S.O.S.,,,, same result.

Jef Jewell speculated that rubber from the rust eraser was imbedding itself into his stone. After he lapped it, the stone was great. I might try playing around with some different grit ratings of SiC powder. The rod however, has steadily improved since I first posted here. Strange.

Back