Quantcast

J knives and cheese

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

welshstar

Reaction score
Since getting into J knives I have found myself keeping a $10 chef knife from Target just for cheese, it seems that J knives do not do a good job of slicing cheese, the cheese just sticks to them to much and the friction screws everything up.

Is there a special knife for cheese !!! seems to be one for everything else ?

Alan

Vertigo

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
Banned
Reaction score
If I'm just getting a few slices for a sammich, I use whatever is handy---that may be a 270mm custom knife or 6" Wal-Mart Farberware. If I'm doing a LOT of slicing for a poker spread or barbeque, I'll use a cheese wire. I'm sure there are dedicated "cheese knives" out there, but I don't work with enough cheese to really feel the need to break from my already established routine.

Jim

Reaction score
Rosel makes a good cheese "knife", looks goofy but it works.

Citizen Snips

Reaction score
thats a good cheese knife that isn't too expensive. i used one a few times at functions at peoples homes and in the professional kitchen. it can also be left on a cheese board for serving

btw, its rosle

:D

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A similar knife for soft cheese is made by Victorinox under ref no 7.6083.13.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
The 1/3 of the blade closest to the tip on a suji has always done mighty fine by me for cheese.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
I hand slice blocks of gruyere daily at my job with an aogami sujihiki. I just keep the blade damp....

Benuser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hand slice blocks of gruyere daily at my job with an aogami sujihiki. I just keep the blade damp....
How old is your Gruyère? With some very old hard cheeses I'm afraid to use hard J. knives and rely on softer, more forgiving Globals.

SpikeC

Reaction score
¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº–≠!!!

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
ahh go to microsoft word, hold ctrl+shift and press ;. then enter the vowel you want the umlaut over
That sounds like way more work than googling "rosle" and then copying the results, which have the umlaut in place.

ptolemy

Reaction score
Dental floss works wonders with slicing softer cheeses :)
(make sure it's not used though!)

Latest posts