J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’ve been deep off the rabbit hole picking a first jnat. I’ve discerned I’d enjoy an Aizu and suita, the naming has my head spinning sometimes. Flexible budget. @ethompson would you be able to help me out? Goal is a nice Kasumi finisher primarily, with potential for edges as well.

Current stones
Atoma140
SG220
SG500
Chosera 800
Arashiyama 1k
SG2000
Chosera 3k
JNS Synth Aoto (red)
SG4k
Arashiyama 6k
Uchi finger stones / various powders

This caught my eye, as well as a few at jns and bst

https://kazsknifeonline.com.au/coll...-shohonyama-awasedo-yaginoshima-suita-b-1090g

If you want to splurge a little, the Ohira Uchi and shobu suits from @Censere look absolutely amazing
Thank you Edward for the vote of confidence! Yes, they are very good stones that I picked out from my many visits to top collectors, and stone shops, and mine owners in Japan

I should add that the Okudo is also a fantastic one if one wants to go a step finer (semi mirror on the core + finer, lighter kasumi clad). Okudo itself is a highly sought-after mine with fast and fine stones, and this one is a standout for having (1) high purity (most Okudo's are full of lines though they normally don't hurt), and (2) very reasonable hardness and ease-of-use for kitchen knives that are not typical of the mine

Here's the listing
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/okudo-ohira-uchi-shoubu-maruo-hideri.70351/

Last edited:
Shobu Iromono in particular hits a certain balance between fineness, muddiness, feedback, and ease of use. You can get some really good, fairly easy results with them in general. They used to be my go to finisher years ago for polishing until I moved on to harder, finer stones.

9639AC1B-5DBD-4CF7-B000-58CD6AEB37B5.jpeg
F95E30EE-3075-49F1-A33E-B8FCF87E3F7C.jpeg
2BDAC687-2314-4494-A3E1-8DBCBFEF66BE.jpeg

Back