J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knifes again but I love it. Watch in HD:D

[video=youtube;7q4YTpa3Bwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4YTpa3Bwg&list=LLtIOnZz1j9pQuaBVyU83F6w[/video]

Not knifes again but I love it. Watch in HD:D

[video=youtube;7q4YTpa3Bwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4YTpa3Bwg&list=LLtIOnZz1j9pQuaBVyU83F6w[/video]
I think you got the wrong thread hehe

hehehhe this is what's happening when you've got too many pages open in mozilla:D heh
Can i ask admin to remove my post please and send it to youtube awesome?? thanks

lol it is kind of stones and rocks :rofl2:

How and why do you seal them? I have no j-nats yet...still a noob

It is done so stone do not crack or brake, it is for reinforcement.
It dose happen but very rarely, so to be on 100 % safe side it is better to do so. You need to have that stone for your life time and pass it on :)

The traditional sealer is cashew lacquer. I use shellac, as it is more easily available to me.

The traditional sealer is cashew lacquer.
The traditional sealer is Urushi lacquer, but it causes severe allergic reactions. It also has to be dissolved in turpentine, which does not smell too pleasant IMO.

You are correct. Cashew lacquer is similar to, but not the same as, urushi lacquer.

So there's urushi lacquer, cashew lacquer and shellac... which is the best? Shellac?

So there's urushi lacquer, cashew lacquer and shellac... which is the best? Shellac?
I use Cashew, but it makes sense only if you have a lot fo stones to seal. One can is ~30 bucks for I think 50ml, the good news is it can be diluted a lot.
The easiest option would be Shellac, or some other water proof lacquer, readily available in stores.

I simply use shellac on most of my stones. For $10 at Lowes, it can't be beaten. However, my best stones are done the "traditional" way, in Urushi. But as Stefan mentioned, and I can attest to the fact, it "can" cause severe allergic reactions. Also, if you are in the US it is quite difficult and expensive to get Urushi, but if you ever get to visit China, Korea, or Japan, it is much easier to come by.

I use clear lacquer. As much as I wanted to do it the traditional way, the cost of getting urushi here was just way too high.

Yeah i think just clear lacquer also will be best, so you can still see the sides of the stone

I am all excited now...Might have to get with you Maxim, and get me some Jnats :)

With Ohira Range price increased i needed to get one my self :D
I gave 3 times more for it them my first one :surrendar::sad0: Well lesson learned hehe

Here it is

P1040742.jpg

P1040743.jpg

Here a few more of the collection:

2x Nakayama Maruichi Maruka Kiita for razors

kcmjgl.jpg

Big Naguras and small naguras

25p5thz.jpg

s5haf4.jpg

1r2rsw.jpg

Ohira Renge Suita Koppa (a huge one), you can see on the side shot that this stone is jam-packed with Renge

2i7ts1k.jpg

2r5s48x.jpg

Shinden Sunashu Siuta I think the color is Habutae with Karasu - a razor hone

14ajwvp.jpg

35m0apt.jpg

Yaginoshima Tomae(I think)

2cizog.jpg

205mm 75mm 40mm
Nice! What are the dimensions?

This 2 i did not decided yet if i want to sell
Ohira Damascus Suita
P1040838.jpgP1040841.jpg

Okudo Suita dementions 240mm 110mm 30mm
P1040851.jpgP1040854.jpg

More Pics of 2 Ohira Range i keep for my self :D

P1040890.jpgP1040891.jpgP1040892.jpgP1040895.jpg

Finally got around to take pics of my Blue Aoto.
This is a beast of a stone, extremely hard, and releases little slurry. The polish is ~5k level.
The sweetest part is I got it on auction for nothing as an impulse buy.
I added a pic next to my big green Aoto , and one with scale.

2ue7ghi.jpg

2q3u2pd.jpg

2w4mq8g.jpg

Bought in on auction? Lucky you! Was it an amazing low price?

I suppose you might not have had any idea of the quality until you received it. How has it turned out?

I suppose you might not have had any idea of the quality until you received it.
Impulse buy so no I had no idea what it was, but for the price it did not matter if it turned one of the crappy 2k Tamba Aoto that are abundant now.
How has it turned out?
As I said above ~5k finish, and super hard for Aoto- rather rare features for those stones.

Latest posts

Back