J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the most photogenic stuff I have around I think.

Stripped Natsuya
24543f95f9e262f5a2e41473997a204c.jpg

Ikimurasaki riot :whistling:
0ab9d9c5b596998e89daf71366232a57.jpg3bc9d24d75769ad67569238426785e23.jpgf4493e42f59df84290a55085ba9c6b42.jpg

and freckles
18055ec403e13ad9f2d2f0bca862efa5.jpg6a768a7c2826c16c25972d2e973e2fd9.jpg

Huge and clean Tsushima, almost feels like a harder and finer aoto
Shobu suita from Jon that ive had for a while now, love it, its probably my most used stone atm
Super clean and fine hakka tomae, a bit harder than others I have but is buttery smooth and leaves great contrast
Awesome nakayama kiita tomae, becoming my new fave, lovely feedback, not too hard, instant swarf, leaves a nice kasumi contrast with a mirror edge
The tsushima kinda dwarfs the rest, but the nakayama is 206×75×36

6kUP0mfbRoiEdZyvc4u9MQ_zpsabacc0pe.jpg

UJMhxLJ4TkOOyo0MFJm6ng_zpsws3r1edj.jpg

Hi Panda, tsushima is not as fast as a Kouzaki aoto, mine is not even as fast as my green aoto, but it leaves a nice edge with some teeth for those who like harder stones. It works best with some slurry and with easy to sharpen carbon steel. It is usually a big stone, very consistent and with a white slurry.

Thought I'd share this super cool shobu suita I got from Jon recently. Its fast, hard and fine. Leaves a killer edge, nice, refined and sticky. Also leaves a bright kasumi finish. I think it has some cool patterns on it as well. 2nd pic shows a quick back and forth stroke with a test knife, 3rd pic is a few more strokes, then the finish it leaves after about a minute or so. I take crappy pics so the hagane doesnt look as clear and shiny in the pics as it does in real life.
EYDaHh9QxGsRfofmx2mzQ_zpsmnscketq.jpg

IRj4OZ0PTtOF5irqguXNA_zpsjwx6tuyb.jpg

UxUvUCz0QWG5dx89ts0m8g_zpssnycos1k.jpg

grY6husoTIWYGQYqjtdMtw_zpss8bjd3qj.jpg

My first Jnat Shobu (203 x 75 x 50)
Not really sure what strata. I was surprised how smooth the blade glided on the stone leaving graphite like streaks behind
It is not a hard stone it muds easily without a nagura and produces a mirror hagane and a contrasty hazy( like very smooth sandblasted glass )jigane. It came sealed with lacquer on the sides and with a nice silky feeling to it.
20200214_195952.jpg
20200214_200017.jpg

Can't leave this one out, an Okudo habutae suita. It's a flawless and extremely pure stone. Not a line, crack or spot anywhere to be found. I hardly use it but I'm still keeping it because it's so clean and pure.
eXmbsKK.jpg
lbGWuAz.jpg

First jnat I ever bought, an Ohira suita. I didn't have a clue back then about mines and strata but I heard about Yahoo Auctions so I opened an account with Buyee. I saw this beauty and I read somewhere suitas are what you want (which is bs of course, there are so many good stones that aren't suitas) and I liked the colour. I thought to myself, well, I have to start somewhere so I placed a bid and won the stone. Without knowing it at the time I bought what turned out to be the best suita I've ever owned. I've handled many suitas throughout the years and not one has ever come close to this one. It's my reference stone.
20200418-102844.jpg

Without knowing it at the time I bought what turned out to be the best suita I've ever owned. I've handled many suitas throughout the years and not one has ever come close to this one. It's my reference stone.

Quite a find then! Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it? Do you have a picture of the finish it gives?

No, I don't have a pic of the finish. I don't even have the stone at home now. It's my tool stone at work. I posted this pic on a Dutch tool forum.

It was pretty cheap, paid €93 for it. But this was years ago before the price of stones went though the roof.

First jnat I ever bought, an Ohira suita. I didn't have a clue back then about mines and strata but I heard about Yahoo Auctions so I opened an account with Buyee. I saw this beauty and I read somewhere suitas are what you want (which is bs of course, there are so many good stones that aren't suitas) and I liked the colour. I thought to myself, well, I have to start somewhere so I placed a bid and won the stone. Without knowing it at the time I bought what turned out to be the best suita I've ever owned. I've handled many suitas throughout the years and not one has ever come close to this one. It's my reference stone.
View attachment 77315

Haha. I have one almost the same, just bit thicker. :)

This is not the one Craig had unfortunately. I got this one before he visited Tsuchihashi. I had spent too much and couldn't afford to take that one from him too 😣.

Whoops, my mistake, should have taken more than just a passing glance on my phone. Still a good looking stone though!

Yeah, it's a beauty and it's a treat to use with slurry. But I think it's a little harder than the one you thought it was.

Latest posts

Back