J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DA594FBE-232E-442C-9243-8AC27CBE57BA.jpeg

I think this ohira has enough renge

A bit of a strange one… Ozuku suita. Which suita? No idea. Dirt cheap, no description, just theoretical pedigree - and I do like the suita I have very much. I’ve never encountered in my brief jnat history an ozuku suita. I do have a random koppa from the same mine, and it’s insanely hard and slow.
View attachment 184348
View attachment 184350
Pretty vanilla looking, two toned separated by what looks like a serious crack, with maybe some light grey suminagashi if you have a strong imagination. The back shows the same mottling and some color, although I don’t expect it to ever show. I’m very curious as to how it behaves. I would like to think I’m at the point where I can ballpark the stones’ attributes.. if all else fails, a head to head with the other stones should be telling. View attachment 184354

Edit: does anyone know what that says? I got the first and last kanji, but that’s about it. I fear some serious lapping is in order and those stamps are going to be history.
The first two kanji are: 大突 = ozuku (mine)
I think the 3rd and 4th are 巣板 (suita) and the last naturally is 山
So I guess that didn't really tell you anything you didn't already know haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Pie
Got this lump of natsuya today, spent ages grinding out the saw marks but I must say it looks pretty nice! My first real sized jnat, I got my first small jnat less than two months ago and have since been gathering koppas since. This one seems a bit harder and finer than other examples I have seen, it doesn't produce much mud and leaves a pretty good polish on the blade with decent contrast. I have an aizu coming my way shortly and probably another natsuya so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two.
IMG_20220714_124227.jpg
IMG_20220714_210130.jpg

IMG_20220714_204654.jpg
IMG_20220714_204705.jpg

Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to grind down the rough saw marks quickly? I was using a concrete block but it seemed about the same speed as my atoma 400. I also had a go with a belt sander but it clogged up the belt since it was wet from already grinding down on concrete. Also not having stone dust everywhere would be nice

Got this lump of natsuya today, spent ages grinding out the saw marks but I must say it looks pretty nice! My first real sized jnat, I got my first small jnat less than two months ago and have since been gathering koppas since. This one seems a bit harder and finer than other examples I have seen, it doesn't produce much mud and leaves a pretty good polish on the blade with decent contrast. I have an aizu coming my way shortly and probably another natsuya so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two.View attachment 188436View attachment 188437
View attachment 188438View attachment 188439
Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to grind down the rough saw marks quickly? I was using a concrete block but it seemed about the same speed as my atoma 400. I also had a go with a belt sander but it clogged up the belt since it was wet from already grinding down on concrete. Also not having stone dust everywhere would be nice
Starting on concrete is probably the best way to go about the rough work. I'd probably add some loose SiC to the mix, but iirc that's not very easy/economical to come by for you. I'd probably "finish" the surface using a harder, finer, stone if you had one, but you can get away with just doing some thinning work on it post rough grind.

Got this lump of natsuya today, spent ages grinding out the saw marks but I must say it looks pretty nice! My first real sized jnat, I got my first small jnat less than two months ago and have since been gathering koppas since. This one seems a bit harder and finer than other examples I have seen, it doesn't produce much mud and leaves a pretty good polish on the blade with decent contrast. I have an aizu coming my way shortly and probably another natsuya so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two.View attachment 188436View attachment 188437
View attachment 188438View attachment 188439
P80 coarse silicone carbide sandpaper works like a charm. Kind of pricey though.

With Jnats i have and all of you have :)
Please post pics of your J-nat ! All stones is welcome from all vendors. Also some other Natural stones too ! :D
Just got my first. It was gifted by a good friend. It's an Ohira Tomae from the Imanishi stone company in Kyoto, was mined in the early 70s, graded by Mr. Imanishi, and was stored in his basement.

I have to say it's a fantastic finisher. I use an Atoma 1200 to work up the slurry which is silky smooth. I'm loving this stone.

Attachments

• 20220620_173457.jpg
    20220620_173457.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
Holy s#&t that escalated quickly! Went full retard, it all started with a knife and a king stone a few months ago... Now I fear my desk may fall over under the weight of jnats and the constant rocking back and forth from testing them out.
IMG_20220723_202141.jpg

IMG_20220723_202209.jpg

Help me understand, functionally, what does jnat have over synthetic stones?

Depends on your use. For polishing, natural stones can do kasumi and burnishing better than any synth. You can get finishes off a natural that cannot be replicated with synthetic stones. For edges, many report getting better tooth at a given refinement level and longer lasting edges, but I'm a touch more skeptical about that, even though I do always finish my edges with naturals these days.

Holy s#&t that escalated quickly! Went full retard, it all started with a knife and a king stone a few months ago... Now I fear my desk may fall over under the weight of jnats and the constant rocking back and forth from testing them out. View attachment 189766
Very nice. The three stones in the front what are they? The two light gray could look like aizus :)

I was told it's an ohira. But no proof. I bought it from a very kind guy from another forum. I only sharpen with it up to now, so I cant show a kasumi pic. My mobile isn't good enough to show the blade properly. But it is nice and toothy. No mirror. But best for kitchen knives. It only has difficulties with Ginsan steel. Vg10, aus10 , aogami, ao super are a charm on this one.

This one is big like an aircraft carrier lol.
I bought it with the cryptic description Atago Karasu. That's it. Hard af. Finer than the shiro. This one handles Ginsan knives much better. It handles all steels I have. Feedback isn't as good as the shiro but the outcome is awesome. Kitchen paper slaughterer. ;)

Attachments

• 20220727_233803.jpg
    20220727_233803.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220727_184301.jpg
    20220727_184301.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220727_184150.jpg
    20220727_184150.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220727_184018.jpg
    20220727_184018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220727_183920.jpg
    20220727_183920.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I had a bunch of large odd shaped raw jnats so today I made them nicer to use rectangular JNats with a wet tile saw.
BAA8D955-9BAC-414E-869B-58DF7C3EDFEB.jpeg

69A1C493-B66E-4ED5-B03D-E60B008D7057.jpeg

It even worked nicely to level a big bench nagura that came with a super wonky chiseled bottom. What would’ve been an hour with an atoma took no time. Photo is actually the second thin slice I took off, another that thickness but half as long came off first.
2E182D5C-0196-48C8-A644-ED1FC8D9D92B.jpeg

I’ll make another post when I get home, but broke down a massive aiiwatani, trimmed up two suitas, an aiiwatani kiita, a takashima, a nakayama mariuchi asagi with a nasty line at the edge, an aoto, and the afore mentioned nagura. Also got plenty of finger-stone slices and several nice tomo naguras.

Last edited:
Spent some time playing around on some jnats and have noticed sometimes I get a pattern of the mud left on the blade, kinda etched in. Could it have something to do with the stone possibly being slightly acidic or something like that? I try to wipe the mud off as soon as possible but its too late!
IMG_20220731_201335.jpg

Back