J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a picture of the finish it gives?

I do now because we have a 3 day weekend and I took my tool chest home with me.
20200424_175125.jpg
20200424_175145.jpg
20200424_175352.jpg

I think I totally scored on this suita. It came from a US seller who had some knives for sale too. Looked to me like a cook or chef. Picked up this stone and a Y. Tanaka for really cheap. I am really inexperienced but it’s harder that my 3.5 Ohira suita, but absolutely a pleasure and easy to use. It originally came from carbon knife co. I’m 99% sure it’s Nakayama.

9034851D-8963-4AED-9168-9A55197CF13A.jpeg
C4231B16-3688-4031-B255-E2C997AC3555.jpeg
89D9924E-7856-450E-95CC-5217C0F8927C.png
7D8B5DB3-E1AF-4C71-A2C8-72222B072188.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a great stone, so pretty too. If that's the original box, then it may be from Narutaki, which is the kanji on it.

Hmmm... I'm not an expert, so just relaying what I know so far.

That kanji is the trademark Maruichi, which is supposedly used by Kato-san, the previous owner of the Nakayama mine. However, it seems that it does not necessarily mean it's a Nakayama stone. The successor of the stamps Hatanaka also distributed stones from other quarries. Regardless of whether it is from Nakayama or Narutaki, the stone is definitely of value. More importantly, if you love the stone's performance and characteristics, then it beats any perceived value derived from the stamp.

https://historyrazors.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/kanji-japanese-natural-stones/amp/
maybe a more experienced member could chip in?

Taj, you can't resist the pretty stones. I'm (not at all shocked) that you ask about that pair ;) although the 5th one on the right, if you could see the sides or if wet, is also nice.

Okay, here they are again:

As said these are all coarse or medium stones, akato or nakato. I'm not quite as bothered about finishers as many people are, so most of what I have are like these and practical for knives. L to R: unknown 'Take Tora' naka, flashy Amakusa (bottom) ara, beautiful Natsuya (top) ara, great Numata Hyotan naka, very obscure Haguro ara.

Since we were talking about lacquer, I chose these because you can really see the bit of colour the 'clear' lacquer gives to the Taketora and Haguro, and the wet look it gives on the Amakusa and Natuya, while I used amber lacquer to dress up the white Numata.

Hello, Asteger. Just wondering, is the Haguro still available?

Some others I’ve picked up lately. Some of these will have to go.

View attachment 82466

honyama renge suita was yours at one point I believe @valgard

View attachment 82467

Ohira Renge Suita from Strata

View attachment 82468

Ohira Uchi From Aframes

View attachment 82469

Ohira Renge Uchi from Strata

View attachment 82470

Some soft random uchi
yeah, the big soft suita was mine at one point. Very clean stone, a little softer than I prefer but it did great on some knives and would give a really nice edge too.

Latest posts

Back