J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting the first post of 2021 with a bang.

Shoubudani Karasu
IMG_20210105_182741_606.jpg

Shoubudani Karasu Suita
IMG_20201229_131724_301.jpg
IMG_20201229_131724_300.jpg

Ohira Renge Suita
IMG_20201227_153353_267.jpg
IMG_20201227_153353_263.jpg

Shoubudani Suita with renge peeking through the sides.
IMG_20201227_142310_219.jpg
IMG_20201227_142310_241.jpg

Can I join...? I got my first yesterday, courtesy of BadgerT - a Maruoyama Shiro Suita. Quite an extravagance for me in terms of spending on a stone, but I thought if I was getting one I should do it properly. And buying from someone with load of experience and respect, and able to answer questions and offer advice certainly gave me confidence.

Used for the first time last night; behaves absolutely spot on how he described, and I was surprised not to find it too tricky. Though that was certainly helped by having experimented a bit with sharpening on slates I've found - the experience is far more similar to them than to my synthetic stones. When I started sharpening for the first time I was using inexpensive stones, and doing a lot of beaten up stainless knives for people, which took time, but with practice gave me quite a good understanding of the process. So when I moved to better stones and better knives I found them a doddle by comparison. This feels like that - having learnt on random slates by trial and error, I already understood a bit about slurry creation, management, and how to use stones that are a fair bit slower than synthetics.

Anyhow I rather liked it, and look forward to learning more about how to use...

IMG_2294.jpg

(This second pic is more representative of the colour. The one above was taken near a swimming pool which was probably splashing a load of blue light around the place.)

1ABF7A0A-BB02-40C5-8BB4-56A495FF25B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Can I join...? I got my first yesterday, courtesy of BadgerT - a Maruoyama Shiro Suita. Quite an extravagance for me in terms of spending on a stone, but I thought if I was getting one I should do it properly. And buying from someone with load of experience and respect, and able to answer questions and offer advice certainly gave me confidence.

Used for the first time last night; behaves absolutely spot on how he described, and I was surprised not to find it too tricky. Though that was certainly helped by having experimented a bit with sharpening on slates I've found - the experience is far more similar to them than to my synthetic stones. Anyhow I rather liked it, and look forward to learning more about how to use...

View attachment 109447

(This second pic is more representative of the colour. The one above was taken near a swimming pool which was probably splashing a load of blue light around the place.)

View attachment 109448

killer, killer stone, and a great way to start.

killer, killer stone, and a great way to start.

:) As I said - having Badger's recommendation and reading others' opinions on them here definitely gave me the confidence. Am loving my first impressions, and really looking forward to learning more.

:) As I said - having Badger's recommendation and reading others' opinions on them here definitely gave me the confidence. Am loving my first impressions, and really looking forward to learning more.
Welcome to the club. 😁 Warning: It's a long and deep rabbit hole. I'm hopelessly lost in it, but loving every minute still.

First Jnat received a few days ago, Shoubudani from JNS, I have yet to understand it but it feels very smooth. Can't really say about the performances yet but I am happy with it, it's a pleasure to use, probably weird but I can't help it but to be obsessed with its earthy smell. Simply a different experience than synthetics.

IMG_20210115_215411.jpg
IMG_20210115_215421.jpg
IMG_20210115_215429.jpg

Picked up some stones over the last few months,

A very clean, fast and fine Okudo suita:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a0.jpg

probably the best uchigumori ive ever used, the line is non toxic

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a2.jpg

and two vintage nos aotos. i was told theyre from around 40 years ago. super easy to work with, muddy with no stray rocks. now i know what they mean when they say all the good aoto are long gone. pretty cool to see the old price tag on these too

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6310.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6304.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6302.jpg

Ehm4xmm4RsKyJIZRRN5V%A_thumb_630e.jpg

Lol,
I just saw this:
it's a pleasure to use, probably weird but I can't help it but to be obsessed with its earthy smell.

Glad to see that I am not the only wierdo. Hell, I'll sometimes just grab a stone so I can sniff it. Instant mood enhancer. Make it a touch damp first to really get the perfume to blossom.

Each stone has its own character. Even within the same mine. Funny.

I have often wondered about the smell of the first 2 naturals that I bought. Both stones were from the same seller. They have kind of an oily/smoky smell, reminds me of an old kerosene lamp. When I wet them for use, the smell disappears. There's no rainbow color when I spray water on them like when you see a puddle of water with oil floating on the surface. They work fine in use, although the yellow one, after awhile of use seems to get to a point where it gets a very smooth glassy feel, the blade begins to "skip and stick" it's like the stone has reached a limit and that's as far as it will go.
20200120_121923.jpg
20200120_122047.jpg

The smell likely comes from the sealant on the sides and base. As for the sharpening feel from the yellow one, likely it got loaded and starts burnishing instead of cutting. Managed correctly (pressure, slurry thickness etc.), it could bring out a lot of detail of the steel.

Reactions: D J
Just picked up these from Ikkyu on ebay.

Nakayama Mizu Asagi and nagura left. Umajiyama Namito on the right.

Wanted to try some harder fine stones. Managed to get an ok finish from the Umajiyama so there's potential but there's a big learning curve with these harder stones. Hazy mirror type finish but still some contrast which is pretty nice. I really struggled to take a good photo of the finish.

IMG_20210212_211145808~2.jpg
IMG_20210213_070505777~2.jpg
IMG_20210213_070131121~2.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20210228_182239_784.jpg

My personal Japanese Natural Stone collection.

From left to right, top to bottom.

1. Natsuya (夏屋砥)
2. Aizu (会津砥)
3. Shiro Mikawa Nagura (白三河名倉)
4. Kouzaki Aoto (神前青砥)
5. Ohira Karasu (大平カラス)
6. Ohira Renge Suminagashi Sunashi Suita (大平蓮華墨流し巣なし巣
7. Shoubudani Shiro Suita (菖蒲谷白巣板)
8. Shoubudani Karasu (菖蒲谷カラス)
9. Shoubudani Renge Suita (菖蒲谷蓮華巣板)
10. Nakayama Maruka Kiita Tomae (中山マルカ黄板戸前)
11. Shoubudani Maruka Asagi (菖蒲谷マルカ浅葱)

jants2.jpg

Since I last posted in this thread Ive picked up some more stones.

Top -> Bottom & Left -> Right

Uchigumori from the man himself (ie Nutmeg): the post office made me wait an eternity for this one for no reason. Has red renge on it and as you might guess coming from Nutmeg leaves a beautiful finish

Ohira Shiro Suita: this stone was sold to me at a significant discount because of the lines. However, I *LOVE* this stone. Great kasumi and leaves incredible edges. The first stone I acquired from Ohira, a tiny bit harder probably between 3.5 and 4 leaning towards the former. Lots of renge. This stone is the one that really accelerated the acquisition of these things for me.

Shobudani Shiro Suita: a little harder than the Ohira but also not quite as fine. It seems to cut a bit faster as well. Im not sure what to say about this one; I use it interchangeably with the other suitas

Maruoyama Shiro Suita: this smaller stone I got from Mirua for not very much money. Like the Ao suita from this mine I posted, I really like this stone a lot. I would point to this actually a pretty great intro into natural stones; it's a bit softer than the other suitas and super easy to use. Ok so it's not the end-game level stone the larger renge laden ao suita is but for what I paid a real bargain IMO

Shobudani Nashiji: This stone was featured on the Bernal instagram account and eventually I broke down and bought it. Dont have a ton of miles on this one; I quickly touched up the edge and did a maybe 5 minute polish on my Mazaki on this and the edge seemed really, really nice. Maybe between my Aizu and one of the suitas? The polish was beautiful too; as it was on a kiridashi as well with loads of contrast. I have a feeling this stone and I are going to become good friends

Uchigumori: this one I got with the top still in chiseled form and well as you can see it's got some pretty serious inclusions, which are a bummer and reduce the usable surface of the stone a bit. Still, it's a nice stone that does make a very attractive finish. Well with stones you win some you lose some; at least the stone itself is nice other than the lines.

Ohira Suita: this is one of Maxim's nice wooden box ones that I got off BST. Distinctly softer than the other Ohira suita, instant sea of inky black as soon as you put your knife on it. The best stone I own with a price tag to match. I dunno it's basically perfect, the only thing I wish is that it were 3x as tall.

Okudo Tenjou Suita: this extremely suspicious stone was acquired from ebay for less than 100 dollars. Surprisingly, it's not so bad. It leaves a finish with a LOT of contrast and extremely dark cladding, almost like a synthetic, and a really aggressive edge. Not all that bad but Im definitely not sure about rolling the dice like this on a regular basis lol. It's definitely on the small side, to the degree where I probably wouldnt want to sharpen a 240 or larger knife on it, but it wasnt a problem for a little 150 petty or 165 funayuki

Back