J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maruoyama shiro suita, Shiro suita sunashi, aisa karasu and tajima.
IMG_20210409_015023_598.jpg

My first natural stone. I read somewere that the first stone should be an aoto. I bought this one off ebay from Ikkyu Japan. It seemed like a good deal for a stone just over 2 kg. It absorbs a little bit of water but it is quite hard and fine. Advertised as grit 5000-6000 and it is cutting very slow, more of a polisher. As it's a nice stone my wife agrees it stays in the kitchen for quick touch-ups.
Aoto Ikkyu.jpeg

My first natural stone. I read somewere that the first stone should be an aoto. I bought this one off ebay from Ikkyu Japan. It seemed like a good deal for a stone just over 2 kg. It absorbs a little bit of water but it is quite hard and fine. Advertised as grit 5000-6000 and it is cutting very slow, more of a polisher. As it's a nice stone my wife agrees it stays in the kitchen for quick touch-ups.
View attachment 123971

gah! you're the one who bought it. I went to go check it out the next day after seeing it the night before, and it had disappeared. Usually their stuff doesn't sell and they relist auctions, glad to see it's in good hands.

May I ask you how is it? How quick and what edge it gives, how's the polish?

I could buy one and didn't pull the trigger... I've Wakasa Asagi and it's nice...
I have not used it yet - still waiting for the lacquer to dry...
I expect mirror/semi mirror finish with contrast. Let me share some finish photos with you once I tried it :)

I got a kaedeyama namito koppa. Dark blue-green. It cuts immediately. Feels like aoto but finer. Same sort of tiny-pebbly grit-cutting feeling before mud is made. Not much mud at all though. Dark swarf with a little bit of slurry. Not inky and super fine like finishers or synthetics, but its mostly black. Feels like a 5000 grit or so. Not floaty slick. It doesn't have or make a cushion of mud. It doesn't need much water to cut and it doesn't need water refreshing often at all. It reminds me of a synthetic stone -- kinda like a shapton. Iron isn't hazy or grey. Steel is bright and iron is a little more copper color/dull.

Last edited:
My first Jnat came in, a Hideriyama from JNI along with some fingerstones. My Hinoura santoku had pretty much lost its kasumi and its been thinned a few times over the years. This was my first attempt at a restoration. Not too bad considering it was my first go, still some low spots that didn't really get polished out but overall I'm very happy.

stone.jpg

Before:

prekasumi.jpg

After:
postkasumi.jpg

My first Jnat came in, a Hideriyama from JNI along with some fingerstones. My Hinoura santoku had pretty much lost its kasumi and its been thinned a few times over the years. This was my first attempt at a restoration. Not too bad considering it was my first go, still some low spots that didn't really get polished out but overall I'm very happy.

View attachment 126995

Before:

View attachment 126997

After:
View attachment 126996

Nice ! Where are those finger stones from ? Looking to grab some at some point...

sometimes I wish I had never gotten into these things because I feel like I'd be able to resist a lot better when I saw one with the usual litany of reasons.

but, fortunately/unfortunately I simply could not resist this one on ikku for barely over 100 bucks:
1621394930382.png

Back