J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/amakusa.htmAmakusa? Check out #16 on Watanabe's page - second from the left, bottom row
I certainly have egg on my face for posting an assumption of aizu. Stone is loaded with green spots and the chip in the side is green also so it had the look I suppose. Seller I acquired it from had it listed as aizu as well. I don’t think it’s amakusa either I have many. It’s a nice piece hope everyone enjoys seeing it.

I certainly have egg on my face for posting an assumption of aizu. Stone is loaded with green spots and the chip in the side is green also so it had the look I suppose. Seller I acquired it from had it listed as aizu as well. I don’t think it’s amakusa either I have many. It’s a nice piece hope everyone enjoys seeing it.
Very beautiful and intriguing stone.
It looks like a Natsuya with an erased pattern 😄

Last edited:
49FA7A29-49DD-4C25-9FDF-5D4B38BCAA44.jpeg

“Guys, I think we’re getting to the good part”

Posted this one before, but it’s changed a bit after lapping. Bigger, brighter pinks and these weird matte yellow bits I can’t really describe.

It's stone day today - a beautiful full size white Tam O Shanter + slurry stone, a Dalmore Blue and a British Slate -
View attachment 176720
Today's new stone is a full size grey Tam O Shanter -
1651065712225.jpeg

Makes a lovely pair with yesterday's white Tam -
1651065835137.jpeg

I guess I will call them "Tam the Grey" and "Tam the White" -
1651065943646.jpeg

Something like this -
1651066006687.png

I have a question re: some of these non Japanese natural stones - at the bevel setting coarseness, say around 800, is there a stone in existence that keeps pace with synthetics? Or anywhere close?

I have a question re: some of these non Japanese natural stones - at the bevel setting coarseness, say around 800, is there a stone in existence that keeps pace with synthetics? Or anywhere close?

Yes, with qualifications and caveats. Some natural stones will do it. But you have to adjust your technique a bit. Mainly, more pressure. And they work better for edges than polishing. And they also work better with low alloy steels. And most of them work better with oil than water. But what you are looking for is novaculite. Turkish, cretan, soft Arkansas, washita, etc.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-washita-thread.53968/

Reactions: Pie
Really starting to feel like a member of the club. Thanks to the generous KKF members for selling me these beautiful specimens.

It’s all @ethompson fault. We got into a conversation about fingerstones and he told me I should get some jnats. He sent me some fingerstones and threw in the Nakayama Koppa. That was it. One taste and I’m spinning down the rabbit hole. :)
531E6CBF-9F6A-49EF-98FB-36DCCA8C0691.jpeg

A bit of a strange one… Ozuku suita. Which suita? No idea. Dirt cheap, no description, just theoretical pedigree - and I do like the suita I have very much. I’ve never encountered in my brief jnat history an ozuku suita. I do have a random koppa from the same mine, and it’s insanely hard and slow.
A6F15FCC-57D5-4987-A150-3080CAE97C8E.jpeg

B5FC6851-C343-412E-9F4B-74918EDBF60E.jpeg

Pretty vanilla looking, two toned separated by what looks like a serious crack, with maybe some light grey suminagashi if you have a strong imagination. The back shows the same mottling and some color, although I don’t expect it to ever show. I’m very curious as to how it behaves. I would like to think I’m at the point where I can ballpark the stones’ attributes.. if all else fails, a head to head with the other stones should be telling.
51C13DEF-3436-4CE0-A58A-3C3AC8864F91.jpeg

Edit: does anyone know what that says? I got the first and last kanji, but that’s about it. I fear some serious lapping is in order and those stamps are going to be history.

Last edited:
I have a few hunches what this big slab might be, but would be curious what those with deeper knowledge bases might think. It’s silky soft, finishes like a fine uchigumori, and is very fast. Not the most detail, but plenty of contrast. Beautiful robins egg blue with some rusty streaks, namazu, and renge. For sure a suita of some variety.
FF8B95ED-E7BB-4E0A-ABDB-20F62018DF9E.jpeg

Looks kinda like maruo
Agree. The reverse namazu on the light blue, feel, and result sure sound like how marouyama.. I’ve rarely seen the tan splashes before but I haven’t seen many in the first place. If it is marou, that’s *huge*.

Thanks all for the input. Wanted to see what people thought. I too think a Maruo shiki uchigumori is a possibility. My other thought was Umaji suita. The unfortunate reality is I’ll never know for sure, I think. But, a nice pickup none the less!

Reactions: Pie
I have a few hunches what this big slab might be, but would be curious what those with deeper knowledge bases might think. It’s silky soft, finishes like a fine uchigumori, and is very fast. Not the most detail, but plenty of contrast. Beautiful robins egg blue with some rusty streaks, namazu, and renge. For sure a suita of some variety.
View attachment 185572
I couldn’t guess on the mine. Looks like the stone face could be cut on a different plane than we normally see. I have something similar going on with this stone and that’s what I was told.

Attachments

• 8946C4BA-FE56-44A6-9969-72052CF23C14.jpeg
    8946C4BA-FE56-44A6-9969-72052CF23C14.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 0
C2BD04B8-33CA-4B99-A13C-9295A5F92E6D.jpeg

Current stones for daily use, plus new koppa. The Nakayama kan and small suita are fighting for who’s the last step before high finisher. Aoto and iyoto fighting for meats duty. Uchigumori sits on the [completely subjective] polishing throne, with no competitor. All is well.

Back