J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. That Ohira Uchigomori make me pee myself.
2. I decided yesterday that I will, at some point in the future, have a JNat built into a countertop in my kitchen. This wall reminds me of that.
That’s is awesome idea for a kitchen counter top ..!! I have bin looking at a few of these stones ..! I’m really excited about getting one and about to pull the trigger on it all ..?? My question 🙋‍♂️ to you is..??

What are your ideas 💡 and thoughts about Japanese Natural Whetstone Ohira *Uchigumori* stones ..!! I have Natural Whetstone Hideriyama Renge Shiro..!! I absolutely adore it and love it..! I find this stone is great for polishing and finishing but at 8000k it seems to make my edges smooth and slip through foods ..!! Where the other is 6000k grit and seems perfect for finishing knives carbon steel..!! I really want to buy but would love some more information from anyone who knows and can help me…????? Please 🙏 Thank you for sharing this..!!

That’s is awesome idea for a kitchen counter top ..!! I have bin looking at a few of these stones ..! I’m really excited about getting one and about to pull the trigger on it all ..?? My question 🙋‍♂️ to you is..??

What are your ideas 💡 and thoughts about Japanese Natural Whetstone Ohira *Uchigumori* stones ..!! I have Natural Whetstone Hideriyama Renge Shiro..!! I absolutely adore it and love it..! I find this stone is great for polishing and finishing but at 8000k it seems to make my edges smooth and slip through foods ..!! Where the other is 6000k grit and seems perfect for finishing knives carbon steel..!! I really want to buy but would love some more information from anyone who knows and can help me…????? Please 🙏 Thank you for sharing this..!!

Uchis are the most overrated stones out there

Still good (and I own a few), but no thanks for edges. For a slightly coarser stone but not all the way to pre-finisher, I like Maruoyama shiro suitas a lot, but it's highly dependent on the specific example.

Still good (and I own a few), but no thanks for edges. For a slightly coarser stone but not all the way to pre-finisher, I like Maruoyama shiro suitas a lot, but it's highly dependent on the specific example.
So yes I do agree with you on that..! I have a few stones that I love ..! I did buy the unchi..!! I also bought three others that had shipping cost 💲 but the unchi was free shipping so I was able so save money 💰 buy buying them altogether..! Plus I need to polish a few knives that are old and scratched up from busy kitchen work over the last 25 years..!! I was at Bernal cutlery a few awesome guys showed me how to really polish things well with different stag applications..! Finished with powders and rags ..! Unchi are awesome for this kind of thing..! So it was worth it and I only paid a few hundred bucks for it all ..!!

I have got a lot of stuff and information ℹ️ from Kasuko and also Greg on different topics and sites here

Besides, yes, naturalwhetstones.com by Greg Bupp is gerat site…!!

The knowledge and experience that is available is amazing and awesome..!

I can read for days without crossing the same pages ..!! It helps me a lot to understand the what, why and how it works..!!

Just some recent projects I’ve been neglecting are finally coming together. Stones were all uneven and wobbly. Fun project with epoxy resin.

Attachments

• 8D334EB9-9700-464F-92D8-F05133DE5861.jpeg
    8D334EB9-9700-464F-92D8-F05133DE5861.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 92C7BAD8-2308-415C-96EB-83F7BD467E1C.jpeg
    92C7BAD8-2308-415C-96EB-83F7BD467E1C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 64EA97D2-6CF4-404F-890E-83C73A6DE95E.jpeg
    64EA97D2-6CF4-404F-890E-83C73A6DE95E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9BF6836C-002C-419C-9BE4-9423484DB36D.jpeg
    9BF6836C-002C-419C-9BE4-9423484DB36D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I really like this technique for making odd shaped stones more useable! Well done!
Reminds me of this old gem you sent me. Little did I know it would lead to thousands of dollars on stones. You’re like a drug dealer, send a free taste to get ‘em hooked.
D80B033A-48ED-43F0-8A09-06D63828D1F3.jpeg
7AF9C1C0-F00A-4339-932A-8C1C800E627D.jpeg

I did warn you what would happen...
Well you certainly didn't discourage it!
+1 as I started to look at things that I should definitely not..
Speaking of which, what are you guys opinions on Aizu vs Synthetic 3k(chosera for example) ?
I can’t say that I feel much difference in the edge when cutting stuff, but if I had to choose it would be natural all day.

The sales pitch on this makes it look amazing, I'm interested to hear if it lives up to the promises.
After some use, I've got to say that I'm veeeery happy with this stone. It leaves a dark finish on kasumi. Regarding sharpening on double bevel: just a few strokes on it makes my Kato sharp as a razor. Kind of crazy. Works also nice on ginsan3 steel.

Very smooth and fine stone with a beatiful color. Using a Nagura seems to help speeding up everything, but mud comes out very quickly even without it.

Hi @Hassanbensober and @ethompson.
Do you have any tips on using epoxy to fill uneven stones? Maybe a video tutorial even.
I want to try but I'm not that handy and afraid that I might ruin the stones. Last time I ask a guy, he said it was really messy and he gave up after ruining his.

Do you have any tips on using epoxy to fill uneven stones? Maybe a video tutorial even.
I want to try but I'm not that handy and afraid that I might ruin the stones. Last time I ask a guy, he said it was really messy and he gave up after ruining his.
I'll be all ears for these tips. I did it successfully, knowing almost nothing. just by running some painter's tape around the side of the stone, leaving a ridge around the top deep enough to hold enough epoxy to even things out, placed the stone work-side-down on some newspaper, adjusting newspaper thicknesses in various points to make it absolutely level in an absolute sense, then mixed and poured and waited.

Almost perfect. A slight ridge where the tape was, presumably from surface tension, easily trimmed off. One area where the epoxy slipped past the seal of the painter's tape, leaving epoxy on the side of the stone and it flowed to the sharpening surface at one point. Easily removed by flattening with a diamond plate.

However, that was with a stone with very squared-off sides. I don't have a guess about how to do it right for a more irregular stone.

I am using epoxy resin and hardener in bulk 1 gallon jugs. The kind people use to clear coat table tops with. (Much cheaper than buying the little tubes from hardware stores)

I tape off the face of the stone first. Then I lay (blue painters tape flat on my counter top and do at least 2 layers thick of tape up to my desired height. I then peel the tape off the counter and carefully apply it to the sides of stone.( I don’t apply the tape directly to the stone piece by piece because there will be tiny voids between the tape pieces and the epoxy will seep into them causing the tape not to come off clean. I learned this the hard way.)Repeat this process until I have wrapped the stone adequately. Taking into consideration where the resin will go once I pour it and its weight. Before I pour the epoxy I brace the sides of the tape well I created with something ( I typically use some scrap 2x4 pieces or a brick) pour equally mixed epoxy resin. Leave it alone for 24 hours or so. Carefully remove the tape( sometimes this will be problematic but I have found soaking the stone will help with removal of tape) If the tape will not come off I use a dremel tool with a wire brush to scrub that off ( wear a mask and goggles) any epoxy that does get on the face of the stone can be easily removed with silicone carbide sandpaper or atoma plate or something. I like sic sandpaper because atoma is too expensive to be using for this.

It’s not that big of a deal really. I have once screwed up pretty bad and poured a bunch of epoxy into a stone I prepared and had the bond between the stone and the tape fail ( must’ve happened a hour or so after I poured it because I went to sleep) in the morning I had a huge mess but luckily all the resin mostly just ran out onto som scrap cardboard. The stone was terribly glued to the cardboard on I had to spend a while getting it off with some dremel cutting wheels. Spent another 30 minutes flattening all gunk off of it. 🤦‍♂️
Anyways that what I got

Thanks for sharing!
I thought you need to make some kind of mould but seems like taping is enough.
Will certainly try your method.

It's a silly question, I just want to be sure.
I should work with epoxy resin in a well ventilated area, not in a home kitchen right?

I am using epoxy resin and hardener in bulk 1 gallon jugs. The kind people use to clear coat table tops with. (Much cheaper than buying the little tubes from hardware stores)

I tape off the face of the stone first. Then I lay (blue painters tape flat on my counter top and do at least 2 layers thick of tape up to my desired height. I then peel the tape off the counter and carefully apply it to the sides of stone.( I don’t apply the tape directly to the stone piece by piece because there will be tiny voids between the tape pieces and the epoxy will seep into them causing the tape not to come off clean. I learned this the hard way.)Repeat this process until I have wrapped the stone adequately. Taking into consideration where the resin will go once I pour it and its weight. Before I pour the epoxy I brace the sides of the tape well I created with something ( I typically use some scrap 2x4 pieces or a brick) pour equally mixed epoxy resin. Leave it alone for 24 hours or so. Carefully remove the tape( sometimes this will be problematic but I have found soaking the stone will help with removal of tape) If the tape will not come off I use a dremel tool with a wire brush to scrub that off ( wear a mask and goggles) any epoxy that does get on the face of the stone can be easily removed with silicone carbide sandpaper or atoma plate or something. I like sic sandpaper because atoma is too expensive to be using for this.

It’s not that big of a deal really. I have once screwed up pretty bad and poured a bunch of epoxy into a stone I prepared and had the bond between the stone and the tape fail ( must’ve happened a hour or so after I poured it because I went to sleep) in the morning I had a huge mess but luckily all the resin mostly just ran out onto som scrap cardboard. The stone was terribly glued to the cardboard on I had to spend a while getting it off with some dremel cutting wheels. Spent another 30 minutes flattening all gunk off of it. 🤦‍♂️
Anyways that what I got
Thanks for sharing! I did an experiment with this method this morning before leaving home, fingers crossed on my tapings. 😅

I think this will be the best find of my lifetime… 7.8kg Okudo suita here pictured next to a full size suita.
Gym? No. I just polish knives on my Okudo shiro suita 💁‍♂️
D59503DA-D9D4-48E5-AE87-78651A31B8A0.jpeg

This image may not be the representation of Ed, at least for the moment..

To go to an extreme with @ethompson, here is a very small Shobudani stone which is cute as hell. It weighs about 0.7g 😜

I just love this color and it's super soft, slightly chalky. One of my new favourite finger stone to blend everything smoothly!
(Video file is the actual finish with this Shobudani FS)
2E1658B4-99D6-4B52-924C-C7BD0D89367B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5615.MOV
    17.9 MB
Back