J-Nat finishing stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooMajik

Reaction score
I have ordered a couple of synthetic stone from CKTG, but would like to try a natural stone for finishing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, and what also would be the best place to order them from, as I am in Canada. I have heard it is cheaper to ship from Japan, but I have no idea where to start looking or how to tell if I am ordering the right stone. I'm making more purchases lately because I am trying to invest my time/money in my Career (Off season, low cost of living as well.) Sorry if this has or should have been posted elsewhere.

Talk to Maxim from Japanese Natural Stones. He has a vendor forum here. Also you can talk to Jon of Japanese Knife Imports, also a vendor here.

Since you are new, you might want to try a softer jnat first like lv2-lv2.5 for Maxim's rating or Takashima that Jon carries.

Jon at Japanese Knife Imports is who I will talk to for my stones. Really nice and knows his stuff. Also, I would buy the holder he sells that Dave designed.

Thanks guys, I would like to minimize shipping cost/time. Are any of there guys in Canada as to avoid international shipping?

Search Japanese waterstones Canada in google it will pull up a chowhound thread about it. Hope it helps.

Talk to Maxim. Anything i see online that are sold as JNat's are just stones, so you won't know the difference. Maxim will try them for you and tell you what you really can use.

Yup. Maxim's gotta be the expert on j-nats. I happen to have only one. The Awasedo from Jon. I have to say, I like it quite a bit, esp the smell. It's currently on loan I've been trying to be patient but I can't deny I've been missing it.

I sent him a PM but I'd like to find a retailer in Canada. It is used differently in a certain regard no? Sharpening pressure and time to final polish with naturals as opposed to grit? I would assume I would know the difference to a degree, and certainly during use. I've been looking at the Ohira Tomae on CKTG but am uncertain if it is what I'm looking for and if there is a Canadian retailer of the same kind or quality.

Individual natural stones can be very unique and nice stones are pretty expensive. At that price, I would only go with someone that had a lot of experience and an impeccable reputation such as Maxim or buy a stone I could try first, such as the Awasedo, in my case. I've seen or heard of numerous experiences where a lot of money was spent on stones that didn't do what the buyer was hoping for or expecting.

Thats why I'm here XD Need a point in the right direction :shotgun:

Don't fret the import/duty costs. Most vendors will "undervalue" the paperwork. I have found it cheaper to bring stuff in than to send it out. Only stuff that gets dinged by duty, are from outside vendors, that don't care enough to help a guy out.

My thoughts.

Thats why I'm here XD Need a point in the right direction :shotgun:
I guess I'm saying you need to talk to someone who has used the exact stone you want to buy and then buy it from that person. Maxim tests out all of his stones individually and has enough experience and skill to tell you exactly what to expect from each specific one.

sweet, I mentioned the one I was looking at when I PM'ed him. I don't entirely understand how the whole import/duty deal works. I have had to pay customs fees for somethings and not others. I hear you, "what we have here is a failure to communicate". I meant I'm having trouble weeding through all the Google and figured you guys would have an answer or know who to contact.

Maxim at JNS is great to deal with, as many others have mentioned. I ordered from him and my stone took a little while to get to me in Toronto (not his fault - tracking showed it got stuck forever in Customs) but it came through a-ok and without hassle.

If you'd like a Canadian option, Tosho Knife Arts (they're based in Toronto) has a selection of natural stones. I don't think they have them posted on their website, but they definitely have 'em as I've seen them in-person. Give 'em a shout if you'd like.

i can also recommend Maxim at JNS, i got my firs 2 J-nats from him, third on the way :D

Awsome, I've been in contact and have picked a stone to order as soon as the finances become available.

I'll go check out Tosho knife arts when I go back to visit home (Toronto). Where are they located? Coffee/pint over knives when I'm in town maybe?

They're just one street west of Bathurst & Bloor - on the sidestreet next to Honest Ed's.

Yeah, a get-together and chat sounds like a good idea :) Lemme know when you might be coming around Toronto :)

Sounds great. I had no Idea there was a shop there, I lived @ Bathurst and Queen for some time. I should be in Toronto around April or May most likely.

Also, Our local Sushi Master (Oka) has agreed to give me a brush up on the natural stones as far as their proper use goes.

Latest posts

Back