J-Nat - What's Next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pigging backing off of @SolidSnake03's thread, I have this guy:

EJY6Gf4m.jpg

It's a koppa but with decent surface area.

Aside from that I have soft, hard and black Arks, BBW, and my highest grit synth is an 8k Shapton Pro.

Where would you recommend I go, on either side (up or down) of this?

Is that stupidly too little info to make any kind of real suggestion? 😟

Not sure I want to step off this cliff yet but thought I'd ask. :)

Always tough to generalize, but aiiwatani tend to be hard and fine. I’d go softer and get something like a soft suita, uchigumori, tested and good tomae, etc. something useful as a pre-polisher for aiiwatani or good enough to leave a nice kasumi on its own

Always tough to generalize, but aiiwatani tend to be hard and fine. I’d go softer and get something like a soft suita, uchigumori, tested and good tomae, etc. something useful as a pre-polisher for aiiwatani or good enough to leave a nice kasumi on its own

I know it was a super vague ask and thanks for the input.

That step is a doozy and it's a long way down! :)

What’s the finish look like off that guy?

I suppose the question is what your base polish process looks like, and if you want to start naturals sooner.

For example, I’ll take things to a rough synthetic 3k before starting naturals. My goal is to start directly after NP400 - at this point I think I’ll need to go through a lot of stones to find the right ones.

If that doesn’t sound like fun and games, then I say go up. Flip a coin? 😅

What’s the finish look like off that guy?

I suppose the question is what your base polish process looks like, and if you want to start naturals sooner.

For example, I’ll take things to a rough synthetic 3k before starting naturals. My goal is to start directly after NP400 - at this point I think I’ll need to go through a lot of stones to find the right ones.

If that doesn’t sound like fun and games, then I say go up. Flip a coin? 😅

Considering I'm currently not too good at the whole polishing game anyway, I should probably practice with what I have and decide if I really want to get into it.

But I see all these sexy stones being shown off and my left-click finger starts twitching!

Reactions: Pie
Pigging backing off of @SolidSnake03's thread, I have this guy:

EJY6Gf4m.jpg

It's a koppa but with decent surface area.

Aside from that I have soft, hard and black Arks, BBW, and my highest grit synth is an 8k Shapton Pro.

Where would you recommend I go, on either side (up or down) of this?

Is that stupidly too little info to make any kind of real suggestion? 😟

Not sure I want to step off this cliff yet but thought I'd ask. :)
Have you tested this stone? Shoubudani is on the finer side usually, around 6 to 8k grit, and the tomae could be used for the final polishing step if it's inclusion free.

It will polish differently than most synthetics (scratch marks are less visible usually, and bring out contrast).

Depending on the finish off your BBW and Coticule, I'd say it's after the BBW, but am not sure about where the Coticule sits in the progression. If I had to name a progression after a softer 3k synth, I'd put either a soft Hakka tomae, Tsushima Nagura (these are on the cheaper side and come with more certainty), or something like a soft Takashima tomae. Another pre Shoubu tomae step could be the Maruoyama Ao Suitas, or Shiro Suitas.

Back