Jade Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Winner is Mr. Magnus! Congratulations! Your post was picked by one of the sexiest ladies you will never have the pleasure of meeting. Her name is Destiane and you will wish she was yours.lol She congratulates you. Send me you address please. Thanks all for participating.
son

Congratulations to Mr. Magnus! A worthy recipient, I would say!

The Winner is Mr. Magnus! Congratulations! Your post was picked by one of the sexiest ladies you will never have the pleasure of meeting. Her name is Destiane and you will wish she was yours.lol She congratulates you. Send me you address please. Thanks all for participating.
son

Steely would have backed that up with a photo....just saying.

Congrats Mr.Magnus!

Congrats Mr. Magnus, and thanks to Mr. Son for yet another generous giveaway.

:bliss: wohooo im so happy i won this badass looking thingy thanks alot Allison and Destiane :)

Steely would have backed that up with a photo....just saying.

Congrats Mr.Magnus!

I tried, but for some female reason she doesn't feel like she looked her best, if your married or have been in a long term relationship you understand what I mean.

Magnus wanted to know a little bit about what fiber optic knives are made out of. Fiber optics are glass strands that are used to transmit data through light pulses, They are more efficient than metal wires and are less likely to experience signal interruption. They are lighter and carry infinitely more data. The down side is they are more expensive to install and much more difficult to splice if a repair is needed. That's the technical stuff coming from a layman.Years ago some one took home some of the left over pieces of glass and slag used in the making of these spun glass fibers and decided to knap it. ( make arrowheads out of it by pressure flake removal) It turned out beautifully and was much easier to use then glass beer bottles and old fashioned glass insulators from power lines. The material could be knapped finer, There was a greater variety of colors and when the fibers were fused together and they had a natural chatoyance or cats eye effect. In short beautiful pieces at a reasonable price and minimal labor. The one I am giving away is emerald green with some metallic flakes embedded into the glass. It can easily be made into a knife by gluing and lashing the blade into a groove cut into a piece of wood or antler. It is perfectly useable for skinning out and animal, but is a bit more delicate then steel and if you drop it it will break. You do not want any torsional forces on this thing or it will snap.

starts out like this

fiber optic glass.jpg

Late to the party (nice beach vacation). Thanks for the give-away. I'll contribute anyway -- Italian on my mother's side, 50/50 Italian and Hungarian on my Father's side. Hungarians came over in late 1800s, all the Italians in the early 1900s. We only know one of the four locations where they were from :-(

Great info Allison thanks alot...
2 more questions thou. is this what thay call jade? i thought jade was a mineral stone or something...
and how do you sharpen fiberoptic glass?

im gonna see who can put a handle on this awsome thing. im thinking carbon fiber and plexiglas combo :) all i need now is a brave handle maker to make it happen. :)

Thanks
/Magnus

fast drawing. would be cool to keep it in the glass theme hehe.

jade.jpg

Great info Allison thanks alot...
2 more questions thou. is this what thay call jade? i thought jade was a mineral stone or something...
and how do you sharpen fiberoptic glass?

im gonna see who can put a handle on this awsome thing. im thinking carbon fiber and plexiglas combo :) all i need now is a brave handle maker to make it happen. :)

Thanks
/Magnus

No sharpening, unless you learn how to knap you will destroy it. Jade is a natural stone. There are two commonly accepted types: Jadeite and Nephrite. They are very different stones, but look similar and have similar properties. Jadeite is much harder and nephrite is tougher. highest quality Jadeite is currently the worlds most valuable gemstone. Of the 10 most valuable gems sold 5 were jade. Jade is one of the oldest worked gemstones, it is used for jewelry, weapons, bearings and many other things. hope this helps

Back