Japanese Aesthetics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this. I think it is a decent gloss of a rather complex subject. I used to work in Japanese garden design and maintenance and the amount of inaccurate information that gets published on that subject is appalling.

Thanks for posting this. I think it is a decent gloss of a rather complex subject. I used to work in Japanese garden design and maintenance and the amount of inaccurate information that gets published on that subject is appalling.

Interesting visited many gardens In Kyoto it has different styles and periods. It was capital of Japan over a thousand years. Moss gardens, Stark zen like Ryoan-Ji . Others many trees with fall color leaves the seasonal cycle of life with trees. Depending where a garden is local climate a factor.

IMG_20200608_181656374.jpg

Kind of long story. Janice uncle had entire front yard cleared out put plastic sheet down covered with gravel around eight years ago. She complained looked like a parking lot. I came over made some rock islands. After moved in cut holes in plastic planted Hibiscus and other native Hawaii plants.

Last year had Tongans build a rock wall. I planted grass plugs outside the wall. Ordered big gravel from kapaa quarry and redid the rock garden. A Lichen grows on the rocks back of the valley perfect conditions rain and sunlight.

In praise of shadows is a really lovely book.

Interesting visited many gardens In Kyoto it has different styles and periods. It was capital of Japan over a thousand years. Moss gardens, Stark zen like Ryoan-Ji . Others many trees with fall color leaves the seasonal cycle of life with trees. Depending where a garden is local climate a factor.

There have been some complaints from within Japanese gardening circles that the standard of maintenance in the major Kyoto gardens has declined over the past several decades. Despite those complaints and complaints of over tourism/lost tranquility several Kyoto gardens remain on the landmark/must see list.
IMO the SEP article is good but perhaps attempts too much interpretation. Reading too much Buddhist or Shinto "meaning" into Japanese gardens can be dangerous ground. There is some evidence that this is, at least in part, an adventitious Orientalist accretion, often the product of academics who are neither serious Buddhist practitioners nor landscape builders/gardeners.

Latest posts

Back