Japanese Blacksmith Tools for Gardening, etc

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and possibly even edging grass in hard to get corners.
Sounds like some special grass :D :p:D

Not really a collection.. it’s a bunch o'tools that get used every time the planet spins :) Tobisho w/out the yellow/red is a new one just bought from Tetsufuku (along with those mind bender Kanto shears).. it’s a small version of barracuda which I think will be a bit handier for my plum tree than the sr's.

Grass? I don't know what you mean man! I need something to prune my chronic weed infestation :D

Not really a collection..

Indeed! Sorry... collection in the 'group of objects' sense... not in the 'behind glass, white gloves' sense (though gardening gloves might be a good idea)!

Hmmm.... I know each tool has its place but do you have one that you have found to be a better generalist than others??

Hey mensch.. haha no worries! Lol.. that was supposed be 'spins around the sun'.. every time it spins would be too much :eek:
Tough call can’t really just grab one and go it usually happens in twos and threes. I might be up on a ladder doing pad work on a tree so I’ll have the sr's/small saw/barracuda combo and maybe one of those knob cutters. For karikomi it’s just the barracudas and and a shear or two, pine work is okubo and the tobisho pine snips, really just depends on job de jour. That said the sr's and barracuda do the bulk and we’ll see how those new ones do...

Hehe. Only once a year! You could have been the constant gardener! It sounds like the barracudas get a fair bit of use. I before spring I should get my hands on some of these.

Have the same hand clippers with diff. color handles each side. Find the straight blade gets used a lot for shaping my small junipers. They are slow growers put them in the ground 2 years ago are a little bigger:eek:

Talk about weeds got all the plugs in for last yard I did now comes weeding between plugs until they grow together. I killed off all the weeds before put in the plugs, but they will still grow where ever exposed dirt that is getting a lot of water first two months until the plugs establish roots in the soil. Garden knee mat and flat head screw drivers to get the weeds out roots and all.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning to cut on?

Hmmm a mixed bag... I have native shrubs (mostly 1.5m tall) in my small court yard garden. A chilli tree... a couple of lavender bushes.... herbs. On the other side are three mystery trees the previous occupants planted. The look a lot like magnolia but refuse to flower (they are fast growers though). The A-types are just fine for all of this... I dont need any more. Want is another story....

The real job is my parents house. They have a big hedge - it is a jumble of trees. A lot of old Camellia and Crabapples. There are quite a few native bushes/trees scattered around as well. A Bougainvilleas that needs constant taming. I think the Barracudas would get a good work out in this garden! The A-types might a bit small for some tasks...

Have the same hand clippers with diff. color handles each side. Find the straight blade gets used a lot for shaping my small junipers. They are slow growers put them in the ground 2 years ago are a little bigger:eek:

Talk about weeds got all the plugs in for last yard I did now comes weeding between plugs until they grow together. I killed off all the weeds before put in the plugs, but they will still grow where ever exposed dirt that is getting a lot of water first two months until the plugs establish roots in the soil. Garden knee mat and flat head screw drivers to get the weeds out roots and all.

Sounds like a lot of good work!

I've been spending time with my two favorite hoes. The short one is from Japan, the taller is from Germany...

20200523_181506.jpg

I want a hori hori, and I had every intention to buy it when I was to be in Japan last month.
thanks Covid-19 for effing up that well laid plan. I thinks it’s a smart tool. I’m obsessed with weed abatement.
other than that, me personally, i do not feeI the need that my garden tools have to be Japanese.

Back