Japanese Market Kitchen Help Needed - Boston Brookline

Discussion in 'Kitchen Classifieds' started by Ochazuke, Jan 22, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 22, 2020 #1

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Hi all,

So I'm helping to open a Japanese market opening up in the Brookline suburb of Boston. We'll be selling fresh Japanese breads/pastries, imported top of the line beef, fresh fish, and all the other standard Japanese market fare. In addition, we'll be doing daily bento, MTO sushi, ramen, as well as a cafe selling the venerable Ogawa Coffee brand.

We are looking for additional staff to work any of the following areas:
    1) general grocery/register
    2) ramen
    3) fish butchering/sushi
    4) coffee/cafe
    5) kitchen/bento

Each of these will start at around $15/hr (salary negotiable based on experience). If you are full-time, there are benefits included. We're a friendly bunch that's excited to share products we love and to pass on some of the skills we've acquired. We do have a very high standard of excellence however. The staff at Ogawa Coffee has trained two of the former World Latte Art Champions - but their commitment to taste is even higher than their commitment to beautiful drinks. Our sushi/fish staff have 20+ years experience cutting fish at some of the largest Japanese markets in the country and have trained with former Tsukiji sushi chefs.

If you have the skills or the aptitude to learn, the pay has the potential to increase pretty quickly. Bilingual Japanese/English is a HUGE plus (as of right now I'm one of only two fluent English speakers). If you don't speak Japanese, the willingness to try to communicate is a necessity. All of the current employees speak Japanese, but the English is at varying levels. Miscommunications will happen, but attitude is what's most important.

Please PM me if you're interested and I'll reply with next steps!

Thanks for looking and best wishes,
    Josh

GreyBoy and Carl Kotte like this.
  2. Jan 22, 2020 #2

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

Good luck; sounds like a cool concept! Ogawa does make a nice cup of coffee. That was my go-to whenever I came up to Boston for work.

Ochazuke likes this.
  3. Jan 22, 2020 #3

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

I will be a customer.

Ochazuke likes this.
  4. Jan 23, 2020 #4

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Daily bump - I'd love to get a KKF member! It looks like we might also be teaming up to bring some of Korin's products to Boston (still pending).

Carl Kotte likes this.
  5. Jan 23, 2020 #5

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Wish you the best of luck! Seems like a great concept!

6. Jan 23, 2020 #6

lumo

lumo

lumo

You might try tapping into the restaurants in the area to see if any of the staff are looking for extra hours elsewhere. I would've loved the opportunity to get paid to butcher and make ramen as a young cook or steward. Uni, Eastern Standard, Island Creek Oyster Bar are in Kenmore Square...spots on the green line are easier for staff to commute to Brookline and Boston.

7. Jan 23, 2020 #7

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Same. Excited!

8. Jan 23, 2020 #8

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

That's a good idea! I might start poking around. I only worry that it'll look like we're trying to poach employees. We definitely want to have good relations with the other businesses around.

9. Jan 23, 2020 #9

lumo

lumo

lumo

True, but not being a competing restaurant should help and it's best to introduce yourself to the manager/chef and tell them what's up. Good Luck with everything!

Ochazuke likes this.
  10. Jan 23, 2020 #10

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

This. Let the manager know you have a few shifts available for anyone looking. They will be less likely to ask their staff if you say or imply full time.

Ochazuke and Carl Kotte like this.
  11. Mar 16, 2020 #11

ModRQC

ModRQC

ModRQC

Aaaaand let them know there's a new market around where they could possibly find some fresh produces for their own kitchens.

Draft saved Draft deleted