Japanese Market Kitchen Help Needed - Boston Brookline

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm helping to open a Japanese market opening up in the Brookline suburb of Boston. We'll be selling fresh Japanese breads/pastries, imported top of the line beef, fresh fish, and all the other standard Japanese market fare. In addition, we'll be doing daily bento, MTO sushi, ramen, as well as a cafe selling the venerable Ogawa Coffee brand.

We are looking for additional staff to work any of the following areas:
1) general grocery/register
2) ramen
3) fish butchering/sushi
4) coffee/cafe
5) kitchen/bento

Each of these will start at around $15/hr (salary negotiable based on experience). If you are full-time, there are benefits included. We're a friendly bunch that's excited to share products we love and to pass on some of the skills we've acquired. We do have a very high standard of excellence however. The staff at Ogawa Coffee has trained two of the former World Latte Art Champions - but their commitment to taste is even higher than their commitment to beautiful drinks. Our sushi/fish staff have 20+ years experience cutting fish at some of the largest Japanese markets in the country and have trained with former Tsukiji sushi chefs.

If you have the skills or the aptitude to learn, the pay has the potential to increase pretty quickly. Bilingual Japanese/English is a HUGE plus (as of right now I'm one of only two fluent English speakers). If you don't speak Japanese, the willingness to try to communicate is a necessity. All of the current employees speak Japanese, but the English is at varying levels. Miscommunications will happen, but attitude is what's most important.

Please PM me if you're interested and I'll reply with next steps!

Thanks for looking and best wishes,
Josh

You might try tapping into the restaurants in the area to see if any of the staff are looking for extra hours elsewhere. I would've loved the opportunity to get paid to butcher and make ramen as a young cook or steward. Uni, Eastern Standard, Island Creek Oyster Bar are in Kenmore Square...spots on the green line are easier for staff to commute to Brookline and Boston.

You might try tapping into the restaurants in the area to see if any of the staff are looking for extra hours elsewhere. I would've loved the opportunity to get paid to butcher and make ramen as a young cook or steward. Uni, Eastern Standard, Island Creek Oyster Bar are in Kenmore Square...spots on the green line are easier for staff to commute to Brookline and Boston.
That's a good idea! I might start poking around. I only worry that it'll look like we're trying to poach employees. We definitely want to have good relations with the other businesses around.

That's a good idea! I might start poking around. I only worry that it'll look like we're trying to poach employees. We definitely want to have good relations with the other businesses around.
True, but not being a competing restaurant should help and it's best to introduce yourself to the manager/chef and tell them what's up. Good Luck with everything!

True, but not being a competing restaurant should help and it's best to introduce yourself to the manager/chef and tell them what's up. Good Luck with everything!

This. Let the manager know you have a few shifts available for anyone looking. They will be less likely to ask their staff if you say or imply full time.

Aaaaand let them know there's a new market around where they could possibly find some fresh produces for their own kitchens.

Nice! Very cool opportunity. Im all the way out west and also a yankees fan 😫. Not sure Im ready for a move yet. Best of luck!

Hi all! Crazy times recently, huh?

Anybody looking to get some use out of your deba? We’re looking for a fish butcher. Will train the right person. You’d finally have a reason to own some single bevels (though we have store ones that you’d be welcome to use).

PM me for details!

Hey, are you Maruichi? A friend was passing by there are said there were knives for sale! You get some stuff in from Korin after all?

Back