Japanese style boning knife???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
Hi,

is there such a thing as a Japanese equivalent to a western boning knife that I can use on beef, chicken or fish. or do I need multiple knives: gyuto (beef), honesuki (chicken) and deba (fish)

I currently have a Henckels Pro S 5 inch filleting knife. For the life of me I can not make this thing sharp. I sharpen my own knives and I have no problem obtaining a crazy sharp edge on all my other knives except this one.

The edge is either not sharp or the edge doesn't last long. I know its not very sharp as I have a lot of trouble cutting/trimming through fatty tissue.

any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

Tojiro DP Gokujo. It's a Japanese made western style boning knife, it's stainless but it takes and holds a very good edge. For $70 you can't go far wrong.

The alternative would be to buy a honesuki, a deba and probably a hankotsu for bigger animals. The Japanese style knives would be much more expensive and the technique is completely different.

Am I right that you're wanting a Japanese made western style boner? As opposed to Japanese style boning knives?

Thoughts on Tojiro DP Gyuto vs Tojiro Yo-Deba as a boning knife?

Misono makes a UX-10 "American style boning knife" http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ux10series.html

I have a Misono honesuki and hankotsu (top-right in picture) and yo-deba (bottom-right in picture) but in the Swedish Carbon Steel ground for a lefty:
CD339750-B9BB-436A-9D47-74A63DE82087_zps06vejoyh.jpg

The hankotsu works fine for a home user like me, but I could see instances were someone would want the double bevel American style

Am I right that you're wanting a Japanese made western style boner? As opposed to Japanese style boning knives?

don't really have a preference but I prefer as few knives as possible. I would mainly use it for meat and chicken. I sometimes fillet the occasionally fish but not often enough to warrant a quality deba.

trying to see what my options are since it's a bit of a tricky one as western fillet knife are made to be flexible but at the cost of hardness and thus edge retention

hey tanner, is your hankotsu a UX10 or just 'normal'. That may be what I need as I want it to mainly trim meat with

My hankotsu and all the others are the Sweeish (carbon) steel: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SwedenSteelSeries.html#SwedenSteel

They cost a lot less than the ux10 and are carbon :cool2:, the molybdenum series costs even less than the Swedish ($86 vs $107). If you order from JCK, I'd ask Koki if he still has says for them too.

There are some threads here about the Swedish steel hankotsu if you do the Google search, I know theory also has a sharpening video.

don't really have a preference but I prefer as few knives as possible. I would mainly use it for meat and chicken. I sometimes fillet the occasionally fish but not often enough to warrant a quality deba.

trying to see what my options are since it's a bit of a tricky one as western fillet knife are made to be flexible but at the cost of hardness and thus edge retention

I do all of this with honesuki. If the piece of meat is bigger obviously I need to take gyuto...

My preference would be to keep the fillet knife you already have for fish and to pick up a western boner with decent steel (like the Tojiro). The Tojiro isn't flexible and doesn't sacrifice edge retention.

All I really use (for everything) is a gyuto a western boner and a petty; occasionally I'll also break out a parer, suji or bread knife but I could manage just fine without any of those. I've been through a lot of chickens and deboned some racks of lamb since getting the Tojiro and so far it hasn't needed sharpening - it's only been touched up on a strop.

I'm not trying to talk you out of what the other guys are suggesting, or dissuade you from the Japanese options, but I did want to let you know that you don't need to worry about edge holding or flexibility with all western style boners.

Here's a video of Salty prepping some steaks, notice the choice of knives. The boner is the Tojiro.

[video=youtube;45YpSNUV-CY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45YpSNUV-CY[/video]

My preference would be to keep the fillet knife you already have for fish and to pick up a western boner with decent steel (like the Tojiro). The Tojiro isn't flexible and doesn't sacrifice edge retention.

I tried looking for it online.. only place I have seen it is at the site that can not be named.. they have sold out. I can't find anywhere else with the Tojiro DP Gukojo. the only one I can find is http://knifewear.com/products/tojiro-flash-boning-knife-150mm

I hate the look of that handle, looks so plastic.. I want a yo handle with rivets.

i would have gone with the DP if I can find it. at the moment I cant so hence why I'm considering the other japanese knives

I tried looking for it online.. only place I have seen it is at the site that can not be named.. they have sold out. I can't find anywhere else with the Tojiro DP Gukojo. the only one I can find is http://knifewear.com/products/tojiro-flash-boning-knife-150mm

I hate the look of that handle, looks so plastic.. I want a yo handle with rivets.

i would have gone with the DP if I can find it. at the moment I cant so hence why I'm considering the other japanese knives

Oh, I'm sorry abut that - I didn't realise. I got mine from the unmentionable site.

That handle does look disgusting...

I can't comment on the stock handle of the DP either, I needed help to import the knife into the UK and the incredibly generous member who shipped it over for me also re-handled it in some beautiful wood while it was with him! The new handle is up there with the very best of all the knives I've owned, but every time I use the knife I'm reminded that I need to think of some way to repay him.

Back