JCK Honba-Duke Sharpening Service?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAS4T0

Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice on the sharpening service offered by JCK.

I've recently received confirmation that a custom order knife is ready to be delivered, and Koki has offered the wetstone sharpening service free of charge.

I would greatly appreciate to hear some experiences of the service.

I was intending to send the blade to Maxim for initial sharpening (the sharpening job he did on a shige of mine is prefect) , but if the edge provided by the JCK service is similar, I'd probably be inclined to go for that instead.

Thank you.

Its free, what have you got to lose? If you don't like it you can always send it to Maxim, which is what you were going to do in the first place. I have had them sharpen my knives before and the service was pretty good. It is way better than the out of box edge you normally get from some makers.

That's pretty much what I was thinking Sanchem.

I was more wondering if the blade faces were likely to get scratched up during sharpening. The blade is damascus and has a high grade mirror polish (and as it's a special order I've been waiting on it for about 6 months). I've heard some stories of sharpeners in Japan being less than careful and scuffing the blade faces quite badly during sharpening, I'd be kind of bummed if that happened.

You have to be careful when sharpening Damascus. I would think if they offer the service, they would know better than to scuff the blade face. I would let them know of your concern before they do it.

When you are sharpening your own Damascus knife esp. when doing low thinning bevels do not let hardly any mud build up on your stone, rinse it off the slurry can scuff the blade face even though it is off the stone.

The knife arrived today! :D The blade faces are pristine (no scuffing from sharpening), the bevel is small and very consistent and the edge is extremely sharp.

Thank you for the advise Keith, I'll be very careful when sharpening this one.

Latest posts

Back