Jck Kagayaki r2 series

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

That’s what Maboroshi said
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m pretty set on picking up a takamura and blazen real soon however I noticed this Kagayaki r2 series at JCK
https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kagayaki-r-2-damascus-series
Anybody have experience with any of these knives? The handles look nice. I’m stuck trying to figure out which petty id like the most between a Kagayaki, taka Pro and blazen.
Any feedback on this JCK would be welcomed. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the steel. The Ryusen Blazen is one of the best stainless I've ever used. But I would in no case buy a Damascus blade.

I like R2, for what it's worth.
A lot of Koki's OEM stuff is made by Sukenari, but I cannot say for sure if this line is, of course.

If you value edge retention and don't mind the steel being a little hard to sharpen you'll love a well heat treated R2-knife, in my experience.

Nothing wrong with the steel. The Ryusen Blazen is one of the best stainless I've ever used. But I would in no case buy a Damascus blade.
Well I was looking at the takamura pro petty initially then these Kagayakis caught my attention. It hard for me to notice much difference in handles and bolster although there must be some. I’m not even sure if I want a smaller or bigger western handle for a petty.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Because of the extra cost?
About Damascus: looking great to some, but not after a few months of use.
Doesn't contribute in any way to the knife's performance. Rather the opposite: most Damascus blades are remarkably thick behind the edge.
Makes good sharpening, which should include thinning, most problematic. You have to rework the entire face on both sides, with a progression of sandpaper. After that, re-etching with some highly corrosive substance. Sending out and having it done? OK, but not twice a year.
No Damascus for me.

I wouldn’t disparage all Damascus because some of the cheaper ones come with less quality grinds. The nicer stuff is what I’m looking at. I’m kinda indifferent to Damascus, infact I’ve spent years clowning much of it. But to tell you the truth, in person good Damascus looks good! (Takamura uchi, Yoshikane, etc)

Hi Labor, this is not the line you are asking about, however, among the first Jknives I have had aree a JCK Kagayaky petty and a JCK Kagayaki Inazuna gyuto, and I have been happy with their balance between edge retention and toughness for a variety of tasks. They are not as easy to sharpen as the carbon steels but they are decent knives. I am curious why someone like you would be interested in the Kagayakis which to me seem to be in the lower half of qualty knives when compared to other choices that I guess you are familiar with... Am I missing something or is my lack of knowledge on this area blocking me from realizing something that should be more clear?

Hi Labor, this is not the line you are asking about, however, among the first Jknives I have had aree a JCK Kagayaky petty and a JCK Kagayaki Inazuna gyuto, and I have been happy with their balance between edge retention and toughness for a variety of tasks. They are not as easy to sharpen as the carbon steels but they are decent knives. I am curious why someone like you would be interested in the Kagayakis which to me seem to be in the lower half of qualty knives when compared to other choices that I guess you are familiar with... Am I missing something or is my lack of knowledge on this area blocking me from realizing something that should be more clear?
You should read up on these knives. I’m particularly interested in the forged Damascus line. Though these are under a jck house brand theyre not entry level. They sound quite nice and might be on the same level as takamura and blazen. Atleast, that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

I just got a Takamura Pro gyuto, they’ve been kind of hard to find lately. I wanted to compare to a red handle Takamura but I’m not even sure that’s necessary - this thing really wowed me. I’ll eventually have to try a Blazen though.

I just got a Takamura Pro gyuto, they’ve been kind of hard to find lately. I wanted to compare to a red handle Takamura but I’m not even sure that’s necessary - this thing really wowed me. I’ll eventually have to try a Blazen though.
Please let us know how they compare. Is the heel height on the Takamura HSPS lower than on the Ryusen Blazen?

would love to see those specs (and maybe a choil shot) of either a blazen or takamura pro.

would love to see those specs (and maybe a choil shot) of either a blazen or takamura pro.
Lucasfur was nice enough to take some comparison pics of the takamura uchi and blazen side side for me. I could be mistaken, but after reading some info on the MTC kitchen page I think the taka Pro and uchi are the same knife besides the Damascus.
Wanna check the pics out?

Lucasfur was nice enough to take some comparison pics of the takamura uchi and blazen side side for me. I could be mistaken, but after reading some info on the MTC kitchen page I think the taka Pro and uchi are the same knife besides the Damascus.
Wanna check the pics out?

Everything I've read indicates that this is true, and that the Hana is also the same except with a different handle.

Don't care about Damascus? Get Pro.
Otherwise, want a Wa octagonal hybrid ferrule? Get Hana.
Otherwise, want a regular western handle? Get Uchigumo.

Not sure why the Uchigumo is the most expensive though.

Takamura Pro gyuto is 43mm at heel, 3.2mm above heel, 1.8mm at midpoint, 0.6mm 1cm from tip.

@labor can you post pics of the petty? I had the red handle one and I’d be interested in seeing if the relationship is similar.

422E4A0B-30DE-4F06-81EF-C022B55ECD5F.jpeg
79BD1948-65E9-4741-8D86-4BC4531B1497.jpeg

Back