Jende Nanocloth

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do it... Jende Nanocloth is the worst stropping medium I've ever tried. Has too much give, and rounds edges like nobody's business; no amount of lightness of touch seems to help. The emulsions themselves seem to be a fairly tightly graded, but a little light on abrasive density... Not a combination I like on kitchen or working knives. Little or no bite left even at 2-micron, and the 1-micron is too slow to pick up from all but maybe an 8K stone. Don't like the carrier, either. Kind of 'gloopy'. I wouldn't take a razor to this stuff, either; especially on nano-cloth... I've destroyed so many good edges with these strops. Jeeze. :confused:

My favorite diamond emulsion is actually the Norton Monocrystaline. Fairly wide abrasive spread, so the 1-micron actually has some tooth still, and it cuts quite well; especially on Balsa. Good touch-up combo on kitchen knives if you're into stropping with pastes. Even if jumping to it from a pretty coarse stone, it'll still do its thing. If you want to go finer (Some steels can really take it, like certain powdered-metal SS.), I kick over to sub-micron pastes & sprays on firm leather.

Hope this helps...

- Steampunk

There is a diamond paste labeled Norton, a bit expensive, not really great.
For EU I might be able to help with some abrasives of very good quality.

I'll be back for Jende strop. I need to get one and see something.

Thx, Steampunk. Not too many answers here, as I expected.
I had the opportunity to try one myself a while ago I also felt it did not do much at all. Also I think you need a big amount of emulsion to fill up the cloth.

I think Nanocloth is overpriced and overrated.
It sure is expensive. Seeing that people have been stropping for a long time on things that are much cheaper (including cardboard and jeans), and have been quite successful that way, I'm a bit skeptical. Even if the Nanocloth is better in some way, does it really need to be? I can strop my knives to stupid sharp already on leather, so I don't quite see the point.

I've been at this for a while (2 days), every single time thinking to try just one more thing to see if that doesn't do something wrong.
In my experience, the surface and the abrasives do change the results. But I can't seem to get the edge to "crumble" in any normal or rather normal scenario.
I've tried many knives as well. Almost all types of important alloys and geometries.
The surface is about 1mm in thickness, with no give to speak of, unless really high pressure is used (even so, I barely manage to see something).
20200717_110345.jpg
There's a specific draw to it, that I managed to bypass almost entirely by changing the abrasive (now it just glides with ease).
Compared to the control strop (balsa at the moment), I do get some less aggressive edge, but it's able to cut just fine with plenty aggressiveness for a tomato or a bell pepper.

View attachment 87572
There's a specific draw to it, that I managed to bypass almost entirely by changing the abrasive (now it just glides with ease).
Compared to the control strop (balsa at the moment), I do get some less aggressive edge, but it's able to cut just fine with plenty aggressiveness for a tomato or a bell pepper.

Could you give more information on the abrasives you used and found beneficial?

This surface has a draw that requires some force to use. Almost grips the blade. Using the Jende abrasives will also give it a specific heavy draw. This is because the surface needs a lot of liquid and they designed something "muddy" just to address the problem.
My guess was that these two factors need to change. One was ease enough, just don't use it. The other, not really. Unfortunately the abrasives aren't available for comercial use, not yet at least.

That surface takes a lot of liquid, from my previous experiences. That's not a problem for me, I have plenty to play around with. 210x70mm. Around 15ml would be optimal. That's pretty insane amount by my standards. But now I did it in steps, just to see what happens.
You can bypass this if you saturate it with something else and apply the abrasives on top of that (let it dry after), but I was just curious. And also would not reflect a normal usage scenario most people would have.

Back