Jiro Price Increase, Yo handle + 40%, Wa Handle + 30%

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is hard, not sure if they are worth that much... Glad to have 2 of his knives already. But this price increase is still much less then Shig and Kato increases over the last years (without any reason at all!).

Wasn`t there a thread about Jiro price decrease just a few weeks back ? The last batch was quite "cheap".

SirCutALot

Glad to have 2 of his knives already. But this price increase is still much less then Shig and Kato increases over the last years (without any reason at all!).
Jealous of you sir, always wanted to try Jiro's work but prioritized other purchases last year..

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere Kato price increased at JNS after Maksim got tired of flipper using bots to buy up stock and then resell for much higher prices. Better to have $$ go his and presumably Kato's way.

Jealous of you sir, always wanted to try Jiro's work but prioritized other purchases last year..

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere Kato price increased at JNS after Maksim got tired of flipper using bots to buy up stock and then resell for much higher prices. Better to have $$ go his and presumably Kato's way.
Jiro's aren't in that league.

That’s wild. Jiros been one of the few jknife makers that interests me since I discovered western makers, love his old giant santokus. Always felt that they were too steep at 700-800 for white steel, so definitely not a direction I’ll be looking sadly.
The aesthetics on his yo handle is very unique. I wasn't smitten with it at the beginning, but it grew on me as more example showed up here on KKF. The price increase is sad but (edit: meant to say UN)surprising. 30-40% in quite a big jump however.

Last edited:
And any other seller do the same ? . I highly doubt Mr. Kato get`s more Money now for his knives, same for Shig.
In my honest opinion, they cut better, they got more mojo ;) , and last but not least they are better heat treated.

But i don`t really think that knifes like Kato, Shig, Jiro, Togashi and many more (even western makers) are worth the increased prices any more. I remember the times when a Kitaeji Shig Gyuto was at 500€ and Tsukasa seems to be not affordable... His prices are still reasonable (because they stayed and a 10% jump from 1,5k is not that much of a deal like the Shig 300% price increase) while Shig and other skyrocket their prices, or at least the dealers did:rolleyes:.

Good ol times will not come back. And yes i miss my Katos and Shigs, Tsukasa and Jiro will be kept till death.

SirCutALot

Kaiju is looking like more and more (if it wasn't already) of a bargain everyday for those who were able to purchase one at MSRP...
Got a link you can share? What's a Kaiju ?

I think it's perfectly fair for a maker to raise their prices if they think their work demands it. Jiros are popular though I have to admit I am not sure who with.

btw this is a genuine price increase; inflation for some things may have been above last year's overall 6.5%, but it wasn't 30% much less 40.

At this point, as I’ve been looking at getting a Jiro for sometime. Id just take a used OG Anryu B2 or Ikeda B2 with an upgraded handle at 240mm and call it my work horse.

The Jiro’s look and sound great. Definitely the profile and finish Id want, steel is a little more carbon forward than I’d like but at honyaki prices that’s gonna be a hard pass in most kitchens as a practical tool that probability can can tragically take over for the worse. I’d hate to leave it sitting on my station resting on a towel and that towel and knife still get picked up to wipe a counter top with and then returned to the knife or said knife used improperly.

The latest 240 was listet for 580€ (would now be at 754€) , a random picked one was at 652€ (848€ from dealer means 1176€ with Taxes and Customs for me if i buy from outside EU) some Years ago. a newer one was at 591€ ... (wa handled models!)... This are only the prices from Morihei.

Why they going to increase prices more for Yo handled ones now, while they always hat the same price point ? (more steel ? )

What do you mean by this?

I use my knives. Kato Shirogami was ok, the WH series was just a laugh, and i tryed some of them. Shigefusa`s "swedish mystery V2 Steel is chippy and the edge retention is also not good (Still have a Yanagiba and i think two Nakiri bought some time for apprentices). The stuff from Jiro i had and have was better, much more handmade appeal, but this are personal preferences.
The cutting performance of my first Jiro did not blew me away, but it was much better then Shig and Kato, well they cut ok but not nice, and again personal preferences.
Jiro's were already overpriced when they first hit the market.
Yes as every knife over 500 without fancy Mammoth toth or real (not the 1095/15Ni20 decoration Stuff) Damascus.

So Shig`s and Katos for the old prices like 350 for a 240 Kasumi Gyuto, yep they where good for the money and not overpriced. What we se now is just ridiculous.

SirCutALot

Yay! Higher resale price for my Jiro.
I'm not unhappy about the price increase—there're more than enough good makers about—I simply move on when priced outta a particular maker.
Good for Jiro that his knives are in high demand. If priced too low, then everyone and their uncle would probably own a Jiro.

bring back the OG Jiro profile and shape!!!! this forum spec is just getting too much.
May I ask how the profile changed from his original and what's the difference? Just curious, never had the chance to hold one in hand.

I wouldn't trade my Jiro for a Kato.

Where can I download a bot to buy up stock? Do these bots work for French knife makers too?

I wouldn't trade my Jiro for a Kato.

don't think you're going to get many offers fwiw.

anyway (more generally, not at you ditmas) this thread is going in a weird direction. who cares how much a jiro is relative to 7 year old prices for knives that you can't even buy anymore. are there alternatives you prefer? maybe a knife you like the same amount but costs less? cool, buy those.

Jiros are still pretty unique IMO

Back