JMJones Knives Pass Around – 240mm Wa Gyuto- Sign up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife has arrived!

Knife is in a bit rough shape, lots of stains, light rust and the tip is missing, I'll clean it up this weekend and probably touch up the edge. Won't work on the tip since I'd prefer not to alter the knife too much. Planning to us it heavily this weekend for a large session of meal prep and get it sent out middle of the week. Who is next in line for it so I have that all set up? Thanks!

Hey All,

Ivang and God Slayer are the next two on the list for the knife, are these two still in the pass around and can either chime in on their shipping info? Ivang is first in line but wanted to see if that line up still was accurate.

Also, I'll be posting impressions early this week, solid knife overall.

Probably ivang if he doesn't get back to you in a resnible time frame let me know and I'll toss you my info (also very excited, can't wait to toss her on the stones and do some cooking)

Hey All,

So I've not had a response from Ivang so far so if I don't hear from him by the end of this weekend I'll be shipping out to Godslayer on Monday. Just a heads up to everyone that the order will be adjusted based on the lack of response. Thanks!

How bad of shape is the tip, and knife in general? I am more than willing to to a rehab if needed.

Thanks

John

How bad of shape is the tip, and knife in general? I am more than willing to to a rehab if needed.

Thanks

John

I think I'm the last guy so don't worry about it. It shipped to me today and should be here sometime next week

Hello All!

I'll get some impressions put up tonight, the knife was shipped to Godslayer yesterday. Ivang never responded after a week so I moved on to Godslayer.

Regarding the knife, I cleaned her up pretty well and put a nicer blue/purple patina on it that seems pretty stable and solid. Should be fine in that regard now after I took off all the surface rust and light pitting. I sharpened the knife a bit at the tip so at least it has a decent edge again bit the very tip is still missing, didn't want to grind down from the spine and do that sort of fix.

The edge on it when I shipped it out is a new stone progression in trying, eager to here how you like it Godslayer. Basically went JNS 300 to Chosera 800 to a Natural with a slurry made from flattening my Chosera Snow White. :)

Hello All!

I'll get some impressions put up tonight, the knife was shipped to Godslayer yesterday. Ivang never responded after a week so I moved on to Godslayer.

Regarding the knife, I cleaned her up pretty well and put a nicer blue/purple patina on it that seems pretty stable and solid. Should be fine in that regard now after I took off all the surface rust and light pitting. I sharpened the knife a bit at the tip so at least it has a decent edge again bit the very tip is still missing, didn't want to grind down from the spine and do that sort of fix.

The edge on it when I shipped it out is a new stone progression in trying, eager to here how you like it Godslayer. Basically went JNS 300 to Chosera 800 to a Natural with a slurry made from flattening my Chosera Snow White. :)

I'll let you know what I think of it. Surprised it was in such rough shape. :viking:

Yeah she was a little banged up but nothing a little time and polishing wouldn't fix. All good and enjoy her! Nice knife :)

Hey All,

Ok so finally have the chance to get some impressions put together on the knife. I'll break down down into physical qualities of the knife first and then cutting performance second with some comparisons thrown in for good measure.

Physical Qualities
The knife itself has a fairly plain finish, small makers mark near the balance point which is a cm or so ahead of the choil. Handle is a fairly simple wooden handle but well done and well mounted, no wiggle or rough edges detected so overall simple but good. Knife finish is fairly plain in that there is no nashiji, kasumi, KU or other elements to, looks like a solid hunk of carbon steel to me. The profile is fairly rounded with an almost German like amount of curve to it, not as much belly but a solid amount of curvature to it that makes it great for gentle rocking or gliding, not as great of a pure up and down chopper. The knife retain a good bit of it's thickness at the spine throughout the length with the tip narrow only slightly. Some of this might be effected by the bit of tip that was broken off before I received the knife but overall it doesn't have a ton of distal taper. Feeling in hand is like that of Watanabe or Kochi or Munetoshi where it feels solid and heavy and confident in hand. There is no lightness or flex to it, it feels like you are truly holding a solid hunk of metal. The knife is 52100 and after I scrubbed off the previous patina it took a nice blue/purple patina very quickly from cutting some cooked sausage, probably one of the more reactive 52100's I've used.

Cutting Performance
Overall I would say that this knife performs well, not exceptional not amazing but solid and competent. It isn't a stand out cutter like Kochi or Watanabe for something it's size and weight, it doesn't have the distal taper nor the thinness behind the edge for that. That said, it seemed to be a good all around performer through a variety of ingredients. It powered through carrots well with minimal wedging, had no problem with peppers and other soft skinned vegetables and did a fine job as a slicer for cooked meats (sausage and some ham). It seemed to strike a good balance of doing everything well without being a stand out in any way. Something like Kochi or Watanabe have this outstanding cutting quality where they almost defy what you think is possible and how something of that mass and size should cut. This doesn't, this cuts exactly how you might expect when you first heft it, analyze it and feel the weight and balance. In a weird way this almost reminded me as a very German knife type of take on a gyuto in it's profile, weight, size and all around cutting performance in that it could easily be a do-it-all knife that you would feel fine banging around too. Regarding edge holding, I put a new edge on it after taking off the previous patina and did a JNS 300 -> Chosera 800 -> JNat Finisher around 6-8K. This left a bitey edge that had no trouble with pepper skin and could still smoothly cut papertowels/newspaper. This edge seemed to hold up fairly well throughout a solid week of home use and cooking for friends. I would maybe have given it a light strop or touch up at the end of the week for my own uses but it really wouldn't have been needed.

So overall, it's a good knife, nothing outstanding or mind blowing but a good, confident, and competent knife that I wouldn't think twice about banging around every day and using for just about everything. To be quite frank, I don't think I would change a thing because to me it does what it was meant for really well in being an all purpose home or work gyuto. At least that is what I'm assuming it was meant for/how it was designed anyhow....

Hey All,

Wanted to post an update, the knife is in Canada and just needs to be picked up by godslayer, was attempted delivery yesterday it looks like and is held at station. Anyhow, just a heads up to everyone that the knife is in Canada safety and at the local post office for pick up.

Quick question for the group, does anyone know how to get around duty? I am in the passaround and the parcel was tagged with a $70 fee( I wasn't home to pick it up) which I kind of don't want to pay on a 1 week trial of a blade(ive never had to pay duty before) Also jmjones I can't send you a pm for some reason. Can you send me one. :knight: also I won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday at the earliest.

Hey all, just checking, is this thing still in flux or has it been picked up? Was cleaning up my desk and came across shipping receipts, want to check that it's been picked up/being handled before disposing of my receipts in case a claim had to be made or anything like that.

Thanks

Hey all, just checking, is this thing still in flux or has it been picked up? Was cleaning up my desk and came across shipping receipts, want to check that it's been picked up/being handled before disposing of my receipts in case a claim had to be made or anything like that.

Thanks

Picking it up tmr, I spent the week in the hospital, had to rush my grandpa there Thursday. I spoke to Tanner and I can request. Refund on the duty so that should clear that up.

Thanks for the update, sorry about the family emergency!

Sorry for the lack of communication, really busy spring. I am also having issues with the pm's. I will keep trying to send.

Who has the knife now? It can be returned to

John Jones
Po Box 239
Bangor Maine 04401

Thanks for the feedback and input!

Who has the knife now? It can be returned to

John Jones
Po Box 239
Bangor Maine 04401

Thanks for the feedback and input!
I do, I couldn't send you a pm, I tried, I'll mail it out later this week.

Back