JNat Beginners Guide to Buying: Stories of Success, Pitfalls, and Fails

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Xenif, Oct 16, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 6, 2019 #61

Trouthead

Trouthead

Trouthead

This is just the kind of info I have been looking for. Figure a JNAT stone will take me 6 months to buy, and I still might not get what I hoped for.

2. Mar 26, 2019 #62

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

The ebay seller nonosandesu was brought to my attention. He is offering pictured stones taken straight off Morihei's website. As Morihei does not ship internationally and instead works through recognized vendors, it's unclear whether this seller is offering a service or if he whether he has any relationship with the shop. I've contacted him so we'll see what his explanation is, but in the meantime, take this as a word of warning.

Below are a few examples, but there are more.

Ex 1:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-N...336160?hash=item443903f2a0:g:Tx4AAOSwtLxckSbe

http://www.morihei.co.jp/?pid=131748131

Ex 2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-N...rentrq:bb4fdb741690abc229ae21a0fffedf17|iid:3

http://www.morihei.co.jp/?pid=140841358

3. Mar 27, 2019 #63

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    First stone (Ex 1):

The "original" Japanese web site offer is 62,640 yen = about US $560?

"New" ebay offer is "buy it now" for US $964

-------------

Second stone (Ex 2):

The "original" Japanese web site offer is 34,560 yen = about US $310?

"New" ebay offer is "buy it now" for US $550

----------

I will now go and make some popcorn.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Mar 27, 2019 #64

nevrknow

nevrknow

nevrknow

Great find TG

5. Mar 27, 2019 #65

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

6. Mar 27, 2019 #66

foody518

foody518

foody518

Supporting Member

For some of his offerings he's setting scalper prices and possibly for stones he does not currently even possess

7. Mar 28, 2019 #67

Alwayzbakin

Alwayzbakin

Alwayzbakin

I had sent Sin a few emails asking for shipping quotes and asking a couple of times to buy a stone. Had read this thread and figured he was to busy to reply. I discovered later he had in fact responded promptly each time and they all went to my junk folder.

EDIT: I had meant to reply to catalystmans and others’ comments about not hearing back from Watanabe... must have gotten lost by the time I had read through the whole thread

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  8. Apr 24, 2019 #68

childermass

childermass

childermass

Supporting Member

Found a seller on ebay I hadn’t encountered before: https://ebay.at/usr/honing_guide

Browsing his listings I found one for an Iyoto stone:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.at/ulk/itm/264285729660

Reading the description it was kind of familiar. Found the exact same words on Keith Johnson‘s page:
    http://www.tomonagura.com/jnats/jnat-gallery/ara-to--/striped-iyoto.html

I don’t know what to think about this. I tried to find other 'copied' text passages too, but Keith‘s site is just too full of stones.
    He is selling mostly stones suitable for razors, so it might not be a real issue here but I thought I’d share it anyway.

9. Apr 24, 2019 #69

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

99.9% sure its this same guy below. If you go and look at the old sales of the honing_guide user, they take you to items sold by the kossy_1123 account.

YourTogiya (Aka. Togiya 180, Current ebay accounts: japanese_natural_whetstone and kossy_1123)- Blatant re-stamping of stones from other sellers and an unwillingness to explain/apologize when confronted with proof. Some debate as to the quality of his stock, with reports of both good and bad stones, but definitely no question as to his underhanded business practices.

10. Apr 26, 2019 #70

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

It's hard to understand why a company like Ardennes Coticule would not try very hard, to handle this problem with for customer who has bought from them many times.

11. May 28, 2019 #71

loopback

loopback

loopback

Having bought multiple stones from Watanabe, I can confirm that he is responsive and his product is of high quality. I have also visited Bernal Cutlery, and he was kind enough to let me try multiple stones to find one that felt the best to me. If you live near one of these shops, I encourage you to go in and see if they are willing to let you try some of their in-store stones to get a feel for the different options.

12. May 28, 2019 #72

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Biggest mistake I made was getting a coarse jnat. Total wast of time and money.

Best thing I DID do was to keep costs as low as possible with two finishing stones and to not covete every stone type on the market.

I have been much more conservative with my stone purchases vs my knife purchases. I let my needs drive my wants.

13. May 28, 2019 #73

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Being new to the using of Japanese water stones, i have found by buying from Amazon i have over a Month to return a stone i buy with no questions about why.

To me this gives me protection and so far it has worked very well for me, i understand others have had good luck buying from unknown sellers and if one is just risking from $20 to $50 US dollars, and if the item does not arrive or is just a worthless brick little is lost, in time i also might give it a try but i will never use PayPal.

14. Jul 20, 2019 #74

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

olivia9467
    I would like to add this name to the shady dealer list. They only have a couple stones listed. They sent me a "special offer" on one I had been watching. The wording seemed somehow familiar. I did a Google search and sure enough. The copy had been lifted from JNS.

eBay listing
    Screenshot_20190720-103045.png

JNS listing

Screenshot_20190720-103027.png

Screenshot_20190720-103013.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  15. Jul 20, 2019 #75

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

16. Aug 11, 2019 #76

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

I came across this seller on Ebay yamitsu13 apparently from Florida. Are these the cheap Chinese stones or maybe roofing slate? Listed as 12000 grit. Anyone have any experience with the stone? I know nothing about any stones except Arks and am in no hurry to get into the JNATS but I do hone razors. Suitable stone for such purposes?
    I think I already know the answer but it doesn't hurt to ask.

17. Aug 12, 2019 at 4:40 AM #77

pentryumf

pentryumf

pentryumf

Supporting Member

If I may chime in. MetalMaster was a great introductory library of stones with very fair prices. I have also bought from AFramesTokyo and was equally pleased. TheJapanStone was where I bougbt one of my first stones, a nakyama kiita koppa, which is still my little joy stone. My stone library is simple and mostly koppas as their far more affordable. Lately I have purchased more stones of grade 40, 32 & 24, bench size that will outlive me easily. I would give two tips for any new Jnat owner, use it, again and again. Try it after bevel setting on synthetic, then just lose yourself is the experience, it's meditative. Secondly, buy a koppa to start even if you have the funds for a bench stone, a koppa gives the user an appreciation for grade/ size cost as well as nuances in rotations and staying flexible in technique.

The world of naturals is truly a higher plain of enjoyment when touching up a blade.

Admittedly my favorite combo right now is a honyama awasedo from BadgerTooth dressed on a Arkansas surgical, deadly.