Jnat + Synth Nagura?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by ob-gym, Jan 17, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 17, 2019 #1

ob-gym

ob-gym

ob-gym

I’ve been experimenting with a hard Aizu that doesn’t like to self-slurry. Diamond plate rips big chunks -> deep scratches and gritty feel.

I’ve been experimenting with Mikawa nagura, but got one of the best edges ever with using slurry from Chosera 3k!

Is this a thing?

2. Jan 25, 2019 #2

Froztitanz

Froztitanz

Froztitanz

Oh man, I can understand what you are saying. I have a hard aizu and it doesn't self-slurry much either. Would u mind me asking what grit your diamond plate is?

3. Jan 25, 2019 #3

refcast

refcast

refcast

Supporting Member

yeah its a thing. nagura is just to get the base stone working to actually sharpen. the chosera 3k grit will eventually round and stop really cutting, so its fine i guess. normally, yeah, people use jnat nagura or diamond plates for jants, but what works, works.

any dangers would be the grit getting stuck there. . . but i don't think that matters too much, because the chosera grit is probably friable, and the majority of the grit is still aizu. its just whether you want to be purist and not risk anything . . . .but also not get that nice edge you seem to be getting.

yeah the diamond stone is probably, in its raw state right now, worse for your edges. the large chunks will probably act like a huuggee 200 grit or somethiing, since the aizu is a hard stone.

4. Jan 25, 2019 #4

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

I use a 600 grit mini diamond plate to create slurry on my Aizu,works good.

childermass likes this.
  5. Jan 25, 2019 #5

K813zra

K813zra

K813zra

I don't own any synthetic nagura but worn in diamond plates work well on mid grit naturals. On the other hand I use natural nagura on synthetic stones all the time.

Anyway, you can (or could) get really small chunks of Aizu from Mr. Watanabe for use as a nagura, fwiw.

6. Jan 27, 2019 #6

ob-gym

ob-gym

ob-gym

Atoma 140, I actually found that reducing the pressure -> finer slurry and better sharpening. Now, I'm going back and forth between "pure" Aizu slurry and the Chosera synth mix