• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS JNS BBQ Mazaki 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder26

Reaction score
Up for sale is a JNS BBQ treatment Mazaki 240 X 52, 221g.

Got this in a trade (handle was already burned when I got it, but very nicely done) and spent some time thinning the knife right behind the edge and then cleaned up the finish with 800 and 1k sandpaper. Sharpened on a Shobudani suita and it has taken on an *unsettling* edge. Moving it along because I recently scored another Mazaki from one of the first couple gen that I prefer.

$300 shipped in the US

Attachments

• tempImageKRbuPj.png
    tempImageKRbuPj.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 256
  • tempImageEYpi0U.png
    tempImageEYpi0U.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 257
  • tempImagefDWUtN.png
    tempImagefDWUtN.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
  • tempImageMxqPkD.png
    tempImageMxqPkD.png
    928.5 KB · Views: 222
BBQ treatment? Please explain, I'm a big fan a Mazaki and I've never heard of BBQ treatment

The "BBQ" treatment is a colloquial term used to refer to the JNS mazakis that had a special pine charcoal heat treatment (designated by the stamped kanji on the reverse face of the blade). They're supposed to be slightly harder than his standard heat treatment, although it could all be dubious marketing. The steel in this knife is very hard, and sharpens very easily, but I would also say that is generally true about Mazaki's knives.

The "BBQ" treatment is a colloquial term used to refer to the JNS mazakis that had a special pine charcoal heat treatment (designated by the stamped kanji on the reverse face of the blade). They're supposed to be slightly harder than his standard heat treatment, although it could all be dubious marketing. The steel in this knife is very hard, and sharpens very easily, but I would also say that is generally true about Mazaki's knives.
Seems a little like a marketing thing like you said. Mazakis are already pretty hard but then again I'm no blacksmith/metallurgist

Seems a little like a marketing thing like you said. Mazakis are already pretty hard but then again I'm no blacksmith/metallurgist
Definitely! some claim that the steel is a little different, some say it’s not. No one agrees for sure, but pretty much all of his steel is solid stuff

Back