JNS September sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a Mune Nakiri, sold out before I had a chance to think. Kaeru 210 , Mune petty, butcher all sold out too, a lot of Mazaki are gone too.

Anyone try a Kaeru suji?
I have the Kaeru suji and I really, really like it. Everything that has been said about the gyutos is also true of the suji. Like (most) others I hated the faux kasumi, but it took less than 10 minutes to remove, so no big deal.

The blade is neither too fat nor too thin, it has a nice distal taper, and a pointy tip. It has a little flex, but not too much (in my opinion). I can clearly recommed it - it’s my goto suji and a definite keeper.

My two good friends got Mazaki gyutos (240 and 270). I had a chance to handle briefly the 270. It is a very interesting knife. Very non-Japanese when it comes to profile. The grind is convex, the shinogy is weak (little change in grind) and effectively disappears towards the tip. A rather short flat spot and continuous belly towards the tip. The center of mass is very far from the heel and the knife would profit from heavier handle (like Toyama) in my view - my friend will be getting a custom made handle for it. As with basically any other knife there are low spots, but nothing out of the ordinary. The lamination line is pretty wild even for a hand forger (Japanese!) knife. The knife will look super cool with a proper hand made kasumi. The knife has exemplary distal taper. All in all - a very interesting knife. I would probably grab a 240 if they were available. Looks like a great value.

... why I am trying to write a review here? ... I have no idea ...

Just ordered a munetoshi 240. Pretty keen to try it out.

Back