Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Greasylake

Thick knives save lives
Reaction score

Greasylake

Thick knives save lives
Reaction score
Here is a Hirotomo nakiri from Yahoo Auctions, new old stock, pretty cheap, and with the same horse stamp. This is the kanji for Hirotomo: 廣朋
I still don't know what is special about these knives, other than the maker is retired.

Here's a neat little leather knife too

Edit:
Mercari has a lot of them. Ajikiri, deba, yanagiba, sobakiri, and even a western gyuto

Last edited:

Vancouverguy

Reaction score
I was going to pull the trigger on it but was not going to keep refreshing JNS to purchase one. When I woke up they were gone.

I guess it was the veggies telling me no to being wedged

Greasylake

Thick knives save lives
Reaction score
Haven't you heard? This fact alone means you can flip mediocre knives on ebay for twice the original price.
I'm thinking about getting on the sobakiri now. I mean, 50 bucks for a 210mm sobakiri that I can easily sell on ebay, who cares if I've never made noodles before, how can I resist?

Apologies for the bitterness, something about this just rubs me the wrong way. I just put an ajikiri on my watchlist, likely I will order it with a few more things next time I buy stuff from Mercari. I'm just curious about these knives now, and if nothing else my girlfriend will like the little horse on it.

Reaction score
If you're referring to the Hirotomo, I wouldn't say its anything like a single bevel mioroshi deba

I've got a (shorter) double bevel mioroshi deba that has similar shape. I'm referring to the thickness of the blade which is quite unusual for a gyuto (if I'm right here), but the shape is probably a litttle more gyuto than mioroshi deba ... however, I don't care, it looks cool and I can say more about it, when I have it in my hands. I'm just happy having grabbed another knife of an old master even it's not an expensive honyaki super-duper-cutter. But I actually prefer the more "raw daily use" knives anyway. :)

Reaction score
The same knife? on this page just refer it as a TUNA CUT knife......obviously not a gyuto......

It looks at least similar.

I've got two knives from smaller blacksmiths that look like a small gyuto, but they are called even yanagiba by the blacksmiths. As the spine of this knife is very wide and the width not that wide, it could also be called a mioroshi deba. But from the side it looks like a gyuto.

Last edited: