• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Jobone 140mm Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is Jobone handle I bought for a project, but decided to go a different route.

3B3440B8-2483-4826-AA2E-FF0B728BAEC4.jpeg

Burnt osage orange, black liner, and chocobolo ferrule.

All other specs can be found here:

Japanese Wa Handle knife handle Burnt Osage Orange and | Etsy

Price: $45 obo shipped

Last edited:
I'd be interested!

And because you sound knowledgeable, while I am a complete never-done-it-or-anything-like-it before, I am only taking it if you/someone can tell me what to do it with it :p

I have a Watanabe 210mm Ai Deba. Is that likely going to fit? The blade came with plastic ferule and magnolia wood handle. Wat said he uses wood putty to attach the handle, and the area around the tang looks burnt, as if he'd put a scorching hot tang into the wood.

What's the safest way to remove the handle? What material/equipment do I need to attach the new handle?

Get a mallet/hammer, and a long piece of wood.

Refer to this video:

If it doesn't come off after multiple strikes, it's most likely epoxied. What I do then is to wrap the knife handle in plastic wrap, a decent amount, and throw it into a pot of boiling water. After 5 mins, it should soften it up, and then go back to the wood and hammer trick.

I'd be interested!

And because you sound knowledgeable, while I am a complete never-done-it-or-anything-like-it before, I am only taking it if you/someone can tell me what to do it with it :p

I have a Watanabe 210mm Ai Deba. Is that likely going to fit? The blade came with plastic ferule and magnolia wood handle. Wat said he uses wood putty to attach the handle, and the area around the tang looks burnt, as if he'd put a scorching hot tang into the wood.

What's the safest way to remove the handle? What material/equipment do I need to attach the new handle?

Was just about to say the same as the post above. Here's a vid from James at K&S.

For installing- I'd personally use a fine wood file to make the hole fit the blade, and then some epoxy to secure the blade. I also hadn't done anything like it before about a month ago, and found (after following some expert advice from people here) that it's not too tricky.

Ok that actually looks pretty straightforward.

Do you know whether "wood putty" (as Watanabe said he had used) would also come off as nicely after a short while in the oven?

Epoxy does look like the easiest option for putting the new handle on (is the standard super market gorilla epoxy fine?). But I also like the idea of the reversibility of bees wax. I guess that would only be a good option if the tang and the slot for it are reasonably tight fitting already.

Ok that actually looks pretty straightforward.

Do you know whether "wood putty" (as Watanabe said he had used) would also come off as nicely after a short while in the oven?

Epoxy does look like the easiest option for putting the new handle on (is the standard super market gorilla epoxy fine?). But I also like the idea of the reversibility of bees wax. I guess that would only be a good option if the tang and the slot for it are reasonably tight fitting already.

I’ve only used Loctite and JB Weld in the past, so cant speak to how the supermarket gorilla stuff will turn out.

I’m sure beeswax can work, just need to make sure it’s straight and aligned with the handle while drying.

No clue about the wood putty, I would try the wood and hammer trick first, then use heat after if necessary.

Thanks! I just got my very first D shapes handled knife in the post. I will do some intense veg prep today/tomorrow and see if I actually like D-shaped handles. If I do, I'd like to seal the deal. I can probably tell you for sure on Sunday. (if someone else wants to have it first, please feel free to go for it. Many other exciting handles for me on Etsy so no hard feelings if someone else snipes it!)

Thanks! I just got my very first D shapes handled knife in the post. I will do some intense veg prep today/tomorrow and see if I actually like D-shaped handles. If I do, I'd like to seal the deal. I can probably tell you for sure on Sunday. (if someone else wants to have it first, please feel free to go for it. Many other exciting handles for me on Etsy so no hard feelings if someone else snipes it!)

Just shoot me a message when you’re ready

Back