Jon Broida’s Nightmare

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul6001

Banned
Reaction score
E59D8203-9E0B-438E-B670-D17A9A3F654E.jpeg
The fog slowly thins and we find ourselves in the Broida household for Thanksgiving. As the last wisps of fog disappear, we see a group around the table—Jon, his wife, various aunts and uncles, Abraham Lincoln, a topless Barbie Benton, and a woodchuck. (Hey, I don’t know, it’s Jon’s dream.)

A roasted turkey is in the center. Golden brown, stuffing piled all around, beautiful. “Jon, will you do the honors?” asks Barbie, handing him a carving knife. Jon smiles at first, then a look of horror crosses his face as he sees the knife. (Pictured above.) “Baking soda!” he cries. “Somebody get me some baking soda!”

“No more,” says the woodchuck, with an evil grin. “We’ve got it all. All.”

“But my knives,” says Jon. “My knives. What will happen to my knives?”

“Patina,” purrs Barbie. “Don’t you love it?”

“Nooooooo” screams Jon, as the fog closes in around the table.

————————-

The pictured knife is an old Sabatier. The patina was created purely by accident but I like it. (I think.) If you look closely, you’ll notice that it’s developing orange highlights that I’m (almost) sure aren’t rust. I’m hoping that more will come. The recipe, as best as I can reconstruct it, is available upon request.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that if it’s rust, it will be a little powdery, and if you rub a white towel across it, some color will appear on the towel. I’m clean so far. I did the other side a few days after the first and the orange appeared there as well. Overnight. Seems like something can’t rust that fast.

Technically speaking:
Iron + Water + Oxygen = Rust

i.e. 4 Fe(s) + 6 H2O(l) + 3 O2(g) → 4 Fe(OH)3(s)

Then Fe(OH)3 dehydrates to produce Fe2O3.nH2O(s).

Thereby, the chemical formula for rust is Fe2O3.nH2O

I did some research. There is orange patina. The difference, say the experts, is that rust has a powdery quality. This did not have such a quality. But I just washed the knife—just soap and water—and the orange washed away. Either rust or patina would survived so it must have been something else. We may never know.

I did some research. There is orange patina. The difference, say the experts, is that rust has a powdery quality. This did not have such a quality. But I just washed the knife—just soap and water—and the orange washed away. Either rust or patina would survived so it must have been something else. We may never know.
It was definitely rust.

Does anyone think the post is funny? Does anyone like the patina? Hate the patina? Any reaction that isn’t rust-related?

(FYI: If you could wash off rust with soap and water, the world would be a very different place.)

Does anyone think the post is funny? Does anyone like the patina? Hate the patina? Any reaction that isn’t rust-related?

(FYI: If you could wash off rust with soap and water, the world would be a very different place.)

You definitely can wash off some rust with soap and water. It depends on the severity of it. Hell, you even mentioned that in your research people say that if you wipe rust with a white cloth it'll come off onto it. Imagine how much more comes off with soap and water.. just usually doesn't get it all.

As for the knife, it just looks pitted. Not a good look in my opinion.

If not dealt with, the rust will get much worse and cause pitting. You def don't want the latter.

You definitely can wash off some rust with soap and water. It depends on the severity of it. Hell, you even mentioned that in your research people say that if you wipe rust with a white cloth it'll come off onto it. Imagine how much more comes off with soap and water.. just usually doesn't get it all.

As for the knife, it just looks pitted. Not a good look in my opinion.
I'd have to agree. It looks like knives that come in for restoration.

Good thing there are no experts on this forum, as I suspect they might actually claim it is rust...

I didn't understand the post. At all. If it was supposed to be funny, then there wasn't enough background information for it to be. Are you a friend of Jon's? Did you have Thanksgiving at his house and observed his reaction to the patina on the knife? There was no context, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to tell a story or if it was satire/ sarcasm, or whether the knife was yours or Jon.

I wasn't even sure what kind of commentary were you hoping for. Was it
1) haha Jon hates patina, such a stickler for shiny knives, that guy.
2) wow, you get invited to Broida Thanksgiving, we so jealous.
Couldn't comment on either because I had no idea what your connection to Jon was.

Reaction 3) would have been "ew that looks disgusting"

Back