Quantcast

Jon , I see your carrying Monzaburo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

joex175

Reaction score
He sold it back in early May, for half of what he paid for it.
did he not enjoy it? I thought I remember him describing it as quite a laser with great geometry

should I pass on these?

I also am looking at a Mizuno Tanrenjo Suminagashi 240mm in Blue 2 , Koki has one he will sell me and I know salty spoke super highly of this knife , but its 1200 dollars which is in the same range as other makers Honyaki's , and twice as much as Monzaburo's in this case

Salty dog

Reaction score
The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?

joex175

Reaction score
The MT honyakis are not thin knives. Great grind and fantastic polish but it's a thick knife. Not for those looking to go thin.

I inquired about a thinner 270 and they said they weren't able to produce one. What's up with that?
I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated

Salty dog

Reaction score
I was referring to your suminagashi 240mm , not the honyaki's you own , the thin comment was in regards to madrookies Monzaburo 240 HonYaki in I think White 2 , which is custom made for aframestokyo to be a bit thinner.

MadRookie or someone else in the know with either aframes or monzaburo chiming in would be appreciated
I see. My bad. I'd call the suminigashi medium thickness. That's why I like it for an all arounder. If you're going to drop that kind of coin I'd seriously look at the Masamoto honyaki @ $1000. It makes a great counterpart to a work horse.

joex175

Reaction score
thanks salty , I think your and I's oppinions of knives are pretty similar , while I appreciate a laser I prefer a more medium thick knife , my knives I use cuurrently is a 270 Tanaka gyuto , 240mm DT ITK , and a 240 Ichimonji TKC which has been heavily sharpened on one side and I only use for special occasions.

I will check that masamoto out , I got a PM from the current owner of the Monzaburo 240mm Honyaki in White 2 that MadRookie used to own , he confirmed that it is indeed a laser .

I cant wait to hear your review of del's new carbon gyuto , I would really like to support one of these makers with my money , I definitely want a carbon knife for my next purchase and I am about to
I think step up to the next price point of kitchen knives , whether that ends at 600 or 1000 I am not quite sure yet , Michael Rader & Delbert & Stephan are all really making some impressive knives , as well as HHH

I am flip flopping every day on this decision haha

Again - Thanks Salty your oppinion I value greatly , will look closer at the masamoto and see how I can go about perhaps getting one in person

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
haha... seems like you got your questions answered without my help ;)

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Although I have to say, Jon has more experience with a wider variety of knives than I have. I can only comment on the ones I've used. He has access to all kinds of stuff and knows his stuff.

I said "stuff"? what the **** is wrong with me?

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
haha... too much time online... it will do that to you. Take a shot of whiskey and work the line for the night... that will fix you right back up :p

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Scott, I had a Salty Dog tonight, made me think of you. It's up to 110 here in Texas, and it really hit the spot. :eek:fftopic:

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
Scott, I had a Salty Dog tonight, made me think of you. It's up to 110 here in Texas, and it really hit the spot. :eek:fftopic:
The heat/humidity out here are insane. My a/c at home is cranked but the place won't get below 85 or 90. I miss L.A. Life in TX would be a bit cooler if Jon would open up a JKI out here. Back on topic, the Gesshin Ino honyaki gyuto is around 1k if I'm not mistaken. I'd definately be hawkin' that one as well.