Just finished New handle for Konosuke Fujiyama Ko-Bunka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rowland

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of high quality pics. I didn't have time to set up a shoot in my little pop up photo booth so you fine people get a busy workbench for a backdrop.

Info I was able to find on the blade was it's a Konosuke Fujiyama Ko-Bunka (Black Edition)???? I had never heard of it or seen one before this, maybe someone here can give me a little more info. All I was really able to find was it's core steel is Blue #1. with a multi layer jacket and appears a nice kurouchi finish.

The new handle is dyed and stabilized big leaf maple, nickle silver, and Gaboon ebony.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Kinda looks like a kiritsuke. Sure it was a bunka? I had Kono blue bunka and it was massive, almost like a cleaver. Looks good either way!

I may be 100% wrong, but everywhere I see "Ko-" it has referred to the short version of the knife. Most Ko-bunka/nakiri I see are ~100mm in length.

I would likely call that a kiritisuke or a full bunka. Still a nice knife.

With it's advertised length I would also be more inclined to call it a K-tip gyuto personally as its my understanding that a true kiritsuke has a much flatter profile with very little belly and I could be wrong but I think a traditional kiritsuke is also supposed to be a single bevel grind.

Tim, what the measuments on that one? Looks like a 240 in the pictures? Is it a damascus? Can’t really see in the pics. I think tosho sold a bunch of the KU blue knives in North America.

Nice collection you have there. I see you have an affinity to snakewood.
Thanks, sold the bunka years ago, wish I would have kept that one, just a magnificent example of craftsmanship and one of the nicest fujis I ever laid eyes on. Snakewood is a great species for handling heavier knives with, very dense with beautiful figuring.

Kinda looks like a kiritsuke. Sure it was a bunka? I had Kono blue bunka and it was massive, almost like a cleaver. Looks good either way!
I was thinking looked more like kirtsuke also, or ktip gyuto. Plus ko bunka usually should be small knifes from my understanding. Any knife I've seen prefaced with ko has always been small.

I agree with the few of you who have pointed out the Ko-bunka should be a smaller version. I was only calling it that as the only website that I could find it for sale had it listed that way. I still think its more of a bunka than a kiritsuke only because of the amount of belly it has as well as being a double bevel knife.
Does anyone have any information on this line of knife from konosuke? I have never seen anything called a black edition like japaneseknives.eu has it listed.

AFAIK "Ko" actually is a japanese word for "small" or "mini" (?),
so it has a liteal meaning that in practice doesn't fit a standard size,
like in this case where a 210mm is a standard size.

Back