Just one stone. Go

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fascinating how every reply almost has a different favourite stone
There are a diverse range of answers but King Deluxe 1k clearly got off to an early lead. Closely followed by NP 400 and SP 2k but coming up steadily on the outside is the current leader, the NP 800. Surprisingly after a promising start, SG 500 has not really made the running….

Last edited:
Really? I can't get to grips with mine at all, it seems very cloggy. How do I unlock its secrets...?

(And if anyone wants one - I have mine for sale on BST at quite a good price I think).

How long have you had yours? I wonder if it has changed over the years? I have a pretty recent one. I sealed the sides and use it splash-and-go, and I have not had a problem. I tend not to use it for edges, but I have done so once in awhile.

It's fascinating how every reply almost has a different favourite stone
Hold up, who said anything about "favorite"? I dismissed this comment as a misinterpretation until the OP gave it tacit approval three posts above.

Based on the responses it seems like most people are answering with the one stone they'd keep if they could never use another, desert island style. That's how I read "just" in the title.

But if we're talking about favorite stones I'd like to change my answer again :) The SP2K is a great utilitarian workhorse but inspires no love. My Aizu is by far my favorite stone, but I'd hate to be stuck with it alone.

Hold up, who said anything about "favorite"? I dismissed this comment as a misinterpretation until the OP gave it tacit approval three posts above.

Based on the responses it seems like most people are answering with the one stone they'd keep if they could never use another, desert island style. That's how I read "just" in the title.

But if we're talking about favorite stones I'd like to change my answer again :) The SP2K is a great utilitarian workhorse but inspires no love. My Aizu is by far my favorite stone, but I'd hate to be stuck with it alone.
That was my thinking. 1 "do everything stone", which would include the possibility of fixing some damage. If it's supposed to be "favorite stone you have ever used", well, I'd pick the Venev still. I know it's a combo stone, but, it's not available as a single grit. But if that's excluded, it'd be a toss up between SG 500, SG 4k and JKI 4k. For sharpening that is. Polishing I'd choose 3m Cubitron 😎

🤣🤣🤣
For clarification, no I was not asking for a favourite, I missed that some might interpret it that way. No: ‘just one stone’ is that which you’d pick if you could only have one.

I would probably say a 1k stone, probably chosera. A close second would be Aizu.

More seriously, though, my Cho 1k and Wat (aka Shap pro) 1k could both fill this role. I suspect that pretty much any decent medium stone that can cope with alloyed steels would also work.

Not to mention the Kasfly sandpaper holder. A very versatile "stone".

I'd also be interested to know whether a coticule/ Belgian Blue combo could handle this role.

Providing ~1K is about the lowest aggression you need, the answer is 'potentially yes'. A fast Coti can do heavy lifting on mud from a Naniwa Chosera/Pro 600, up to about the 12-15K point (Most of mine fall into this category; only some outliers.). A REALLY fast Coti (I've got one like this.) could probably lift from the 400 point, up to about 8K (A really toothy 8K), even without a lot of mud. It's a more freshly mined La Dressante.

BBW's actually have narrower cutting bands (Larger particles, fewer of them.). They struggle to lift lower than 1K on heavy mud, and only go up to about 4-8K on plain water.

A good Coticule would be high up on my list for a desert island stone. You can do a lot of work, on a lot of different sorts of tools with one (Knives, razors, woodworking tools, etc.). There's a lot of variation between the veins, though. If I could only have one, I'd pick one of my favorite veins, and be happy.

-

In terms of synths, I'm tied at the moment between the Naniwa Pro 600, Naniwa Pro 800, and Suehiro Cerax 1000 if I could only have one.

Suehiro's better at convex geometry, and more of a tactile joy, but not quite as powerful or versatile as the other two... Naniwa 600 is a bit of a 'donkey stone' (Not a thoroughbred, but seems to do basically everything.), whereas the Naniwa 800 is more of a 'workhorse stone' (A little more narrow, but a little better in its application.). The 600 edge is definitely on the toothy side, but still shaves on almost any steel if done right. The 800 is notably more refined. I could probably cut everything with the 800's edge if I had to (Even more delicate foods than what 800 would normally suggest.), but the 600 is the one I could actually sharpen anything on... Wide bevels, chips/tips/moderate thinning, primitive kasumi polishing, slightly more convexed geometries, butchery/EDC knives that need some real bite, etc... Okay. I think I talked myself into the 600.

-

Three stone, desert island set, would be a coarse diamond plate (120-200 grit), Naniwa Pro 600, and a good Coticule. I could do literally anything with these three.

Only one stone, would depend on whether or not I had trained all the tools prior to being limited to that one. I could probably get by with just the Coti, if I had fixed all the geometrical issues, before. If I had to face geometrical issues, or needed to sharpen hard-work tools, I'd pick the Naniwa Pro 600 as my only stone.

Good question, if this includes other folks knives then probably Chosera 400, or Morihei 500, works for everything, doesn't feel like total butt and is still a bit enjoyable to use compared to a lot of other low grit options.

If it's just my knives then Chosera 1k or Morihei 1k or King Hyper 1k (soft) for basically the same reasons.

Providing ~1K is about the lowest aggression you need, the answer is 'potentially yes'. A fast Coti can do heavy lifting on mud from a Naniwa Chosera/Pro 600, up to about the 12-15K point (Most of mine fall into this category; only some outliers.). A REALLY fast Coti (I've got one like this.) could probably lift from the 400 point, up to about 8K (A really toothy 8K), even without a lot of mud. It's a more freshly mined La Dressante.

BBW's actually have narrower cutting bands (Larger particles, fewer of them.). They struggle to lift lower than 1K on heavy mud, and only go up to about 4-8K on plain water.

A good Coticule would be high up on my list for a desert island stone. You can do a lot of work, on a lot of different sorts of tools with one (Knives, razors, woodworking tools, etc.). There's a lot of variation between the veins, though. If I could only have one, I'd pick one of my favorite veins, and be happy.

-

In terms of synths, I'm tied at the moment between the Naniwa Pro 600, Naniwa Pro 800, and Suehiro Cerax 1000 if I could only have one.

Suehiro's better at convex geometry, and more of a tactile joy, but not quite as powerful or versatile as the other two... Naniwa 600 is a bit of a 'donkey stone' (Not a thoroughbred, but seems to do basically everything.), whereas the Naniwa 800 is more of a 'workhorse stone' (A little more narrow, but a little better in its application.). The 600 edge is definitely on the toothy side, but still shaves on almost any steel if done right. The 800 is notably more refined. I could probably cut everything with the 800's edge if I had to (Even more delicate foods than what 800 would normally suggest.), but the 600 is the one I could actually sharpen anything on... Wide bevels, chips/tips/moderate thinning, primitive kasumi polishing, slightly more convexed geometries, butchery/EDC knives that need some real bite, etc... Okay. I think I talked myself into the 600.

-

Three stone, desert island set, would be a coarse diamond plate (120-200 grit), Naniwa Pro 600, and a good Coticule. I could do literally anything with these three.

Only one stone, would depend on whether or not I had trained all the tools prior to being limited to that one. I could probably get by with just the Coti, if I had fixed all the geometrical issues, before. If I had to face geometrical issues, or needed to sharpen hard-work tools, I'd pick the Naniwa Pro 600 as my only stone.
A detailed response, thank you, I started off choosing the NP800 but have been persuaded of argument for the NP400, but this has made me think of reaching for that NP600 just to see.

A bit of meta commentary

What-t-f! The forum software is so puritanical it censors an already censored acronym!

😂
I think those naughty words censors are just a secret ploy to increase language knowledge among internet users. They censor **** but they're okay with fornication. They censor **** but they're fine with excrement. And yet we can still say things like Cutco or well-done steak...

A bit of meta commentary

What-t-f! The forum software is so puritanical it censors an already censored acronym!

😂

Need that technology over at B&B. There they've just got teams of people trawling through old threads changing posts for the weirder...

I said a nice razor handle someone had made was 'pretty af'. Which after editing became: 'pretty as all get-out.'

They were very nice about it though and sent a message explaining that I had been sneakily skirting the language filter, and that it wouldn't do with all the impressionable young minds there.

Screenshot 2021-10-22 162525.jpg

I have taken to writing 'feck' instead, which as we all know is not profanity. You can say 'feck' on daytime tv quite happily in Ireland, just not ****.

And I will not bow to any of their imperialist, Anglo-American, linguistic dictats on the matter. Yeats, Behan and Joyce would be spinning in their graves.

Latest posts

Back