Just one stone. Go

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if we are allowed to. My favorite stone is 3 stones glued together into a sharpening Toblerone.

1634768359432.png

🥳🥳🥳

JNS Synthetic Red Aoto

Really? I can't get to grips with mine at all, it seems very cloggy. How do I unlock its secrets...?

(And if anyone wants one - I have mine for sale on BST at quite a good price I think).

Cretan or Washita. Certain natural stones just have far greater range than synthetics.

They're not common, but Norton did produce India / Washita combis. A Coarse or Medium India x Washita would be completely ideal.

(And on the off-chance anyone wants to sell me one - I'm all ears...)

Really? I can't get to grips with mine at all, it seems very cloggy. How do I unlock its secrets...?

(And if anyone wants one - I have mine for sale on BST at quite a good price I think).
I love mine. It's like a bigger, better shapton 2k

Not very cloggy then? Mine works nicely for polishing, but seems to gum up very quickly for sharpening.
Not sure, I havent had clog issues. I let a layer of water sit on top of it for a few mins before use. It works quickly to restore edges for me.

What about the stone forged in Mt. Doom? The one stone to rule them all? (or has this joke been made already?)

Do you permasoak it or just a short one?

I have it permasoaked now, but doesn’t seem to make a massive amount of difference tbh.

Maybe I should try using as SnG again...(?)

Only stone means around 1000 grit. I have first-hand experience with Shapton Pro 1000, King KDS, and Cerax 1000 (plus some el-cheapo garbage stones). Of those, I like the Cerax the most. Really nice feel, true to grit, and it cuts fast enough even with really hard steel, such as SG-2 or HAP-40.

Only stone means around 1000 grit.

Desert island one stone? Or living next to a hospital and supermarket one stone? 😋

Can I choose seven of the same stone? I would choose the Chosera (Naniwa pro) 400. They basically erode everytime there is a draft... so one would be inadequate ;) You can fix small-mid chips, thin and get to shaving sharp (albeit harsh) all off the one stone

I'll be another bore and just pick whatever mid-grit stone I'm using now. Which would be the Naniwa Pro 1000. But I never used the 800... or Shaptons... or any other decent 1k for that matter. But at least this 1k is good enough that I wouldn't mind using whatever best edge I can get off it. Thinning on it though...

Back